Vista Firewall causing "network health critical" icon RRS feed

• Question

• I have Home Server, a Medicenter XP, XP pro, and Vista machines on my network. I use my router as a firewall so I turn off the firewall at the PC level. However once I added Vista to the mix (same thing, firewall off) I get a constant error icon saying my network health is critical.

It only set this alarm with Vista powered on, on the XP based machines with the firewall off I get no such error. If I turn off Vista, all is green. And oh by the way the same thing happens with Antivirus software. Only Vista sets off the Critical error.

Anyone have any ideas?

Friday, February 23, 2007 2:28 PM

Answers

• Windows Vista machines will report their Security Center status to the Windows Home Server, this feature will not be available for Windows XP Home, Pro, Tablet, and MCE 2005 due to the lack of programming interfaces to make it work.

Windows XP machines will report their backup health status, but will not centrally report their Security Center status

Sunday, February 25, 2007 5:53 PM

All replies

• Do you get the alert on the Vista machine that you have the firewall turned off?  Or do you have firewall monitoring set to "Don't alert, I have my own solution I'll monitor"?  If you've told Vista that you don't want the firewall / AV status monitored and WHS is complaining, that's not good.  But if Vista complains, disable the monitoring and see if WHS responds appropriately.
    Friday, February 23, 2007 3:05 PM
  • I get the alert from Home Server (red icon in notification area) on all my Home Server connected machines including vista.

On the Vista box I have security center set for "don't notify me and dont display the icon". So it is just Home Server that is complaining.

Friday, February 23, 2007 3:26 PM
  • Hmmm ... OK.  I thought that you had to adjust the settings on the firewall and AV monitoring individually in Vista.  I'm guessing you don't have AV installed on any of your machines, right?  I'll have to check this out when I get home tonight.
    Friday, February 23, 2007 7:01 PM
  • Well I think I have it figured out. Under Security Center, under the firewall I missed the option for I have my own solution. I double checked after reviewing this thread and changed it. That took care of the firewall alert. Now the firewall in vista says "not monitored"

As to the Virus software I have virus protection on all machines except my media center xp machine. That is not giving me any error message in Home Server. Maybe it should????

Interesting how vista realy sets off Home Server but other machines don't.

Thanks for the help 

Friday, February 23, 2007 8:28 PM
  • Glad I could help ...
    Friday, February 23, 2007 10:09 PM
  • I need to read the release notes :)

Someone said that AV alerts are not supported in XP (Media Center)  SO the answer is Network health is iffy at best in this build.

Still......Grey

Saturday, February 24, 2007 12:06 AM
  • Windows Vista machines will report their Security Center status to the Windows Home Server, this feature will not be available for Windows XP Home, Pro, Tablet, and MCE 2005 due to the lack of programming interfaces to make it work.

Windows XP machines will report their backup health status, but will not centrally report their Security Center status

Sunday, February 25, 2007 5:53 PM