none
Edit Post Hangs RRS feed

Answers

• HTML editor shows blank prior to hanging. When not blank, it saves OK.

When that happens try using the IE Developer Tools Find tool (F12, Ctrl-b) to see what the HTML should be.  When this happened to me I found some unclosed SPAN tags could have been the culprit.   IOW I had tried pasting in incomplete HTML or had edited improperly (e.g. ignoring the clues in the Path: line and created some incorrect HTML.   Also, since this editor doesn't normally do that I suspect the original source was not prepared using it.)   In any case once I realized what the problem was I worked around it by faking the quote.  If I find another example I intend to experiment with actually changing the stored HTML to see if that will allow it to be shown in the HTML page.  IOW fix the quote instead of fake it.   I don't know why a quote can appear Ok in the Editor frame but its source not be shown in the HTML source tab?   (Seems like the opposite should be true.)

FYI

Robert
    ---

Friday, June 10, 2011 12:28 PM
  • It did not happen in the past few weeks.
    Kalman Toth, SQL Server & Business Intelligence Training; SQL 2008 Grand Slam
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 6:18 PM

All replies

• Can you provide some repro steps or urls? Does this happen when you include no 'reason' or is there some other pattern to this?
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Monday, May 2, 2011 5:27 PM
    Answerer
  • It is random. It happens right after I post and a few seconds later I want to edit the post. I tried it with blank and filled reason, it is just hanging after submitting the changes.
    Kalman Toth, SQL Server & BI Training; SQL GRAND SLAM
    Monday, May 2, 2011 6:49 PM
  • It just happened on the thread below. It hung. It allowed me to copy the post. I had to reply a second time (paste it), then took it. It showed the Alert Me checkbox when it was hanging.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/transactsql/thread/4c43a42a-f2e9-46db-ba15-e4ef2ead98b7

Kalman Toth, SQL Server & BI Training; SQL 2008 GRAND SLAM
    Saturday, May 7, 2011 10:43 AM
  • New observation:

1. Enter edit of just created post

2. HTML editor shows OK - exit html editor

3. In regular edit area I add text and URL

4. HTML editor shows blank

5. Submit grays out, spinning circle does not appear, hanging

If I edit it in the HTML window, everything is OK.

Workaround: I enter first sentence in HTML editor and exit (update button). Work as usual after in forum post editor.

Windows 7, IE9

Kalman Toth, SQL Server & BI Training; SQL 2008 GRAND SLAM

Sunday, May 8, 2011 3:35 PM
  • In my case it's slightly different. I use Google Chrome as a browser. I open HTML editor to insert a link. The editor shows some light brown lines restricting the window. I add the link and then try pressing Update button. The HTML window closes, but my changes are not added, which makes the editor useless for me.

I am still able to use this editor in IE9, but I had other problems with IE9 today, so I had to re-start it a few times, besides, I prefer to stay in GC as I have all other tabs opened there and it's easy for me to switch between tabs.

In addition, by default IE uses Bing for search (I haven't changed it) and GC uses Google, and I like Google much better than Bing since I have better results with it.

UPDATE. Re-installing Google Chrome fixed the problem for me.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 3:54 PM
  • > But that is just the appearance, the reality is that nothing happens when you click on SUBMIT. HTML editor shows blank prior to hanging. When not blank, it saves OK.

I can confirm that exactly this is happening to me.

The main problem is that it is not consistent

- there are as stated here other threads where edits go fine.

- sometimes after (say) ten attempts it will work.

I found today that going to the same thread with Firefox meant that it (the edit) worked right away. (But that may be because I had made ca 9 tries (after refresh) in IE (here 9 but it has happened on another PC that isn't running 9)

I also found once that adding something (even a blank) when editing and not just editing by removing something worked n IE. (That too was however after several attempts to just delete)

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Friday, June 10, 2011 5:52 AM
  • HTML editor shows blank prior to hanging. When not blank, it saves OK.

When that happens try using the IE Developer Tools Find tool (F12, Ctrl-b) to see what the HTML should be.  When this happened to me I found some unclosed SPAN tags could have been the culprit.   IOW I had tried pasting in incomplete HTML or had edited improperly (e.g. ignoring the clues in the Path: line and created some incorrect HTML.   Also, since this editor doesn't normally do that I suspect the original source was not prepared using it.)   In any case once I realized what the problem was I worked around it by faking the quote.  If I find another example I intend to experiment with actually changing the stored HTML to see if that will allow it to be shown in the HTML page.  IOW fix the quote instead of fake it.   I don't know why a quote can appear Ok in the Editor frame but its source not be shown in the HTML source tab?   (Seems like the opposite should be true.)

FYI

Robert
    ---

Friday, June 10, 2011 12:28 PM
  • Thanks Robert. I will try that.

But I don't "fake" anything. I always use the forum editor with Windows 7 and IE 9.

Kalman Toth, SQL Server & Business Intelligence Training; sqlusa.com
    Friday, June 10, 2011 8:38 PM
  • It did not happen in the past few weeks.
    Kalman Toth, SQL Server & Business Intelligence Training; SQL 2008 Grand Slam
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 6:18 PM