none
How to find floating point operations per clock cycle info?

Question

• The nodes in our cluster each have 2 quad core Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5450 processors @ 3.00GHz.  I can not, for the life of me, find how many "floating point operations per clock cycle" they have for LIZARD configuration.  Heck, there are only 447 results on Bing for that phrase! (32,600 on Google).
    Is there another name for this value?
    Thanks!
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 3:08 PM

Answers

• Thats more of an architecture question. In double precision you should have 4 Flops per cycle per core  on todays core2 and i5/i7 cores.
    JH
    • Marked as answer by elansey Tuesday, December 8, 2009 2:32 PM
    Friday, December 4, 2009 9:38 AM
  • Hi elansey
    You are not alone here, I went through this process (but for the E5420 variant) a while ago.
    In the end I found this doc http://www.intel.com/products/processor/xeon/Competitive_Xeon_Brief.pdf which mentions 'instructions per cycle' on page 4. Not exactly the same terminology, but close enough :)
    In reality I'm not sure that the flop/cycle entry matters for the absolute performance (flops) figure, but it will make a difference to the efficiency rating.
    Cheers
    Dan

Friday, December 4, 2009 9:42 AM

All replies

• Thats more of an architecture question. In double precision you should have 4 Flops per cycle per core  on todays core2 and i5/i7 cores.
    JH
    Friday, December 4, 2009 9:38 AM
  • Hi elansey
    You are not alone here, I went through this process (but for the E5420 variant) a while ago.
    In the end I found this doc http://www.intel.com/products/processor/xeon/Competitive_Xeon_Brief.pdf which mentions 'instructions per cycle' on page 4. Not exactly the same terminology, but close enough :)
    In reality I'm not sure that the flop/cycle entry matters for the absolute performance (flops) figure, but it will make a difference to the efficiency rating.
    Cheers
    Dan

Friday, December 4, 2009 9:42 AM
  • I second this - I've been trauling through documentation for the Xeon 5430's and I can't find anything specific, so I'm just going to have to go on a guess here.  The part that gets me is that it says "Or leave the estimated value unchanged" - except the estimated value is 0, and it won't accept that.  So the system that's supposed to be analyzing the hardware is apparently not working as intended....

Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:24 PM