Cannot install connector RRS feed

• Question

• Client PC is XP Pro SP3 and fully updated. DotNET framework 4 is installed.

The server is shown under "My Network Places" and double clicking it brings up the "Connect your computer to the server" page. Clicking the download button and running the ComputerConnector(IP-address).exe results immediately in "An unexpected error has occurred. To resolve this issue, contact the person responsible for your network". Also saving the file locally and then running it gives the same error.

The Computerconnect logfile shows the following:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    wmain: Start of Computerconnector
    wmain: Failed to save the windows logon user in registry: hr = 0x800706a6
    wmain: Unexcepted error occured - exiting program.
    wmain: End of Computerconnector: hr=0x800706a6

Tried with 2 different user accounts (both administrator) and same error.

Anyone any ideas?

Luc.

Friday, July 1, 2011 6:32 PM

All replies

• Is there any reason you do not use the normal  http://{server_name}/connect  which would normally be used to install the connector on the client

Does it still give the same error?

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Friday, July 1, 2011 8:38 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Clicking on the server icon under "My Network Places" starts Internet Explorer and connects to  http://{server_name}/connect.

Have tried  http://{server_name}/connect but same error.

Luc,

Friday, July 1, 2011 8:53 PM
  • Hello Luc,

I resolved same issue with enabling and starting Terminal Services on client PC.

• Proposed as answer by Lar_R_B Wednesday, November 9, 2011 10:39 PM
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 6:07 AM
  • Hello Luc,

I resolved same issue with enabling and starting Terminal Services on client PC.

AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!!!!

I've spent many hours over the last couple days trying to find info on my lack of connector installation issues on my XP Pro machine trying to connect to Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials (which we'll call WSS).

Everything worked connecting my three Win7 Pro machines to WSS, but my XP Pro machine would give that "unexpected error" message.

I guess there's no need to go through the litany of things I tried (all without success) until finding this thread.... but here's how i got here in case it helps someone else key in on this solution...

Another thread (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsvailbeta/thread/635f43b0-85a5-4f7d-b19b-b2d5fe796422) led me to where to find the connector install logs for WinXP ( C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs\ ).  Upon inspecting the computerconnector.log file and finding "Failed to save the windows logon user in registry: hr = 0x800706a6", I decided why not google that message, which is what got me to this thread.

I had little faith that disabled terminal services would be the cause of my failure to save the windows logon user in the registry, but I figured, what the heck, let's check if terminal services are running.  Lo and behold, they were disabled... (why, I'm not sure, but i suspect I disabled them years ago when following some advice on "unneccessary" services which can be disabled to yield a "peppier" PC).  I enabled terminal services, then started them, and yelled out with joy when the next attempt at connecting to WSS progressed past the "unexpected error".

This did the trick Khangelov.. I thank you for posting this solution!

I'm curious why the issues we were experiencing didn't generate any application or system events.  And also curious as to why this was so hard to find-- there are tons of people reporting issues with connector software so there was a lot to weed through.  Why wouldn't the connector software installation report that it couldn't find something that wouldn't be there without terminal services running, rather than "unexpected error"?

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 10:59 PM
  • "Amazing" this worked for me. Thank You!

Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:57 AM