Unable to restore from backup or open .mny file RRS feed

• Question

• HI I hope someone can help.

Our old PC (running XP) recently crashed and we now have a new PC running 64bit Windows7.

I have reinstalled Money UK 2005 to the new pc, and have a copy of both the last backup and the my money.mny file from late March.

However, when I try to open the My Money file or restore the backup I get the error message:

"Money cannot locate the C:\........\My Money.mny, or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read only file, or you do not have permission to change it, or your disk drive is write-protected."

I have changed the share and permissions settings on both files and nothing is write protected as far as I can see

Any suggestions, or do I need to accept that Money will just not orerate in w7-64bit environment?

Thanks in advance, Guy

Monday, April 11, 2011 12:20 AM

Answers

• Lots and lots of posts on the web about this.

First, you need to have a patched version of Money 2005. The installtion CD itself won't do. See: http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx.However you might be too late now.

Second, make sure your money data file is in your My Documents folder, not in C:\ProgramData or similar.

Money will operate quite happily in w7-x64, provided you take the precautions listed above.

Jim

• Marked as answer by GUYI Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:25 AM
    Monday, April 11, 2011 8:20 AM

All replies

• Lots and lots of posts on the web about this.

First, you need to have a patched version of Money 2005. The installtion CD itself won't do. See: http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx.However you might be too late now.

Second, make sure your money data file is in your My Documents folder, not in C:\ProgramData or similar.

Money will operate quite happily in w7-x64, provided you take the precautions listed above.

Jim

• Marked as answer by GUYI Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:25 AM
    Monday, April 11, 2011 8:20 AM
  • Thanks Jim.

I''ve got it now - I didn't have the money data file in My Documents.

Thanks, Guy

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:25 AM