OneCare did not recognize my backup RRS feed

• Question

• hello, i am using trial version of one care. I made s full backup last. But in saturday my computer totally crashed. So I have to install the windows again. Now when i want to restore my personal files It says that cannot recognize tha backup. I made it on a share network drive.
    Friday, April 18, 2008 11:29 AM

Answers

All replies

•  

That is because onecare by default try to restore from your current machine's current backup!

Click next on that window and choose some other backup (dont' remember exact terms) and follow the screen

When you see "ADd Nextwork share" button click on it and give your network share location.

Then you can easily do restore.

Friday, April 18, 2008 12:02 PM
  • I did that. Add network location - and then trying to read the backup and give me an error.
    Friday, April 18, 2008 12:07 PM
  • I assume that the backup still resides on a Network Share? Are the permissions for the Share set for Everyone/All User to have full access to the Share? Can you read/write to the Share from the PC you trying to restore to?

If you continue to encounter problems with this, I recommend that you contact support for help with restoring the data.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, April 18, 2008 4:22 PM
  • I should add one other thing you can try.

Once you've confirmed that the Share is properly set for permissions, on the restored PC, configure a small backup and perform a backup to the same Share location. It won't add to the existing backup as this is now seen as a new PC.

Select a file type that won't backup too much data. Once the backup has completed, try the custom restore again.

-steve

Friday, April 18, 2008 4:23 PM
  • I can confirm that I have permissions on the shared folder, and read/write to it. I performed a small backup in the same location. But it creates a new folder Windows LiveOne Care and stores the new backup in it. And after that still cannot recognize the old one. It want only to restore from the new one.
    Saturday, April 19, 2008 9:42 AM
  • If there is already a backup folder on the Share, it would create a new sub-folder for the "new" PC. At this point, I recommend that you contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, April 21, 2008 4:46 PM