Storing Money 2008 file in the cloud and security implications... or best way to work from different locations RRS feed

• Question

• I want to be able to use the Money file from 3 different machines (desktop, home laptop and work laptop). Obviously security of data is a priority. 

So, there are 2 obvious ways to do it:

1. Put MNY on USB inside an encrypted container. There are two problems with this approach - first, I don't have a habit of having an USB drive on me at all times, so when I need it at home it will likely be in my desk at work, and vise versa. The other problem is, I am likely to lose or misplace it.
    2. Save the file online - e.g. email it to my email account, put it on Google Docs or MS Skydrive, etc. This is much more convenient, provided I have internet access.

So, if I am using #2, should I encrypt the MNY file with a separate password (say inside an AES protected zip file) on top of default MS encryption ? Or is the MS default encryption strong enough ? I think I read somewhere that since 2007 they switched to AES and before it was a weaker type (RC?). How do I verify that my file has been encrypted with "right" algo ? (I use Sunset Dlx  but the original data is over 10 years old).

Or, is there an easier way to sync the file that I may have overlooked ? (just don't suggest any PDA programs ;) )

Saturday, May 28, 2011 12:26 AM

All replies

• I want to be able to use the Money file from 3 different machines (desktop, home laptop and work laptop). Obviously security of data is a priority. 

So, there are 2 obvious ways to do it:

1. Put MNY on USB inside an encrypted container. There are two problems with this approach - first, I don't have a habit of having an USB drive on me at all times, so when I need it at home it will likely be in my desk at work, and vise versa. The other problem is, I am likely to lose or misplace it.
    2. Save the file online - e.g. email it to my email account, put it on Google Docs or MS Skydrive, etc. This is much more convenient, provided I have internet access.

So, if I am using #2, should I encrypt the MNY file with a separate password (say inside an AES protected zip file) on top of default MS encryption ? Or is the MS default encryption strong enough ? I think I read somewhere that since 2007 they switched to AES and before it was a weaker type (RC?). How do I verify that my file has been encrypted with "right" algo ? (I use Sunset Dlx  but the original data is over 10 years old).

Or, is there an easier way to sync the file that I may have overlooked ? (just don't suggest any PDA programs ;) )

For better protection, I use the encrypted container. I use Truecrypt. It offer more than one encryption method, and multiple hashing of the passphrase.
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 7:59 PM
  • ... So, if I am using #2, should I encrypt the MNY file with a separate password (say inside an AES protected zip file) on top of default MS encryption ? Or is the MS default encryption strong enough ? I think I read somewhere that since 2007 they switched to AES and before it was a weaker type (RC?). How do I verify that my file has been encrypted with "right" algo ? (I use Sunset Dlx  but the original data is over 10 years old).

For Sunset, MM encryption is RC4.

See:

. http://jackcessencrypt.sourceforge.net/xref/com/healthmarketscience/jackcess/MSISAMCryptCodecHandler.html#126

. Tool uses above lib to read *.mny file: http://sunriise.sourceforge.net/

Sunday, May 29, 2011 12:10 PM
  • I will echo Cal's recommendation for TrueCrypt. I use a variation of #1: put my *.mny on a TrueCrypt mountable file on my USB stick. Use GoodSync to sync my copy of to the target system (to laptop, for example). Both TrueCrypt and GoodSync has "portable version" that you can put on the USB stick to use as-is. So the target system does not need to have TrueCrypt or GoodSync installed. I keep my USB-stick in my keychain.

Two things I've found to be problematic:

. Dealing with the backup files. In general you need to ensure that all systems have the same backup location (device+path).

. Conflict files could cause lost of work. Occasionally, I would make changes to my desktop copy. Forgot to sync to my USB-stick, then make other changes to my laptop copy. The only way to reconcile is to choose one and throw the other change away.

Sunday, May 29, 2011 12:29 PM