making xbox 360 a media center extender of the WHS RRS feed

• Question

• is this possible ?

currently its not  working as it asks you to enter a 8 digit code on your pc (vista or xp)  on media center to activate it.. 

though the pc's do not need  this code to access the server

i did enable the guest account as a test on the server but it chaqnged nothing

the xbox 360 does currently have no problems accessing the folder shares and streaming from there, but it does not index or read the 80 gig of music and larger vid collection well as it takes minues to view a large directory structure.. 

where as media center on the pc's  have no problems as an extender to the WHS  becauase it uses the WHS's index.. 

i googled, but it seems its mostly jsut bickering on the confusion between the functionality of  the two diffrent methods of accessing the whs.. 

any ideas ?

--==Bastol==-- MCP MCP+I
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 1:02 AM

Answers

• The current recommendation is a "two box" solution, I'm afraid. Your Xbox 360 can be configured to stream from your server by following the appropriate directions in the Media Sharing technical brief, but you'll get the best experience if you use a Media Center PC as the source, with that PC simply using WHS as additional (network) storage.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 3:05 AM

All replies

• The current recommendation is a "two box" solution, I'm afraid. Your Xbox 360 can be configured to stream from your server by following the appropriate directions in the Media Sharing technical brief, but you'll get the best experience if you use a Media Center PC as the source, with that PC simply using WHS as additional (network) storage.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 3:05 AM
  • why would it be the best experience..  ?

besides the fact of having to leave a second pc on  just for that purpose being a pain in the.....

--==Bastol==-- MCP MCP+I
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 8:18 AM
  • Bastol said:

why would it be the best experience..  ?

besides the fact of having to leave a second pc on  just for that purpose being a pain in the.....

--==Bastol==-- MCP MCP+I

Because Media Center is more robust (and, IMO, a nicer interface) than using the XBox 360 interface (although the interface is a little nicer after NXE).  You can play formats through the MCE that you can't play with just the XBox alone.  I actually use both in my LAN (I play TV shows straight from my server using the XBox 360 interface, but I use the MCE interface to watch movies stored on my server).  But obviously that is personal preference.
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 3:40 PM