Development Environment RRS feed

• Question

• I can see from the forum this is asked quite a lot but looking for some advice on setting up our DEV environment for CRM 4.0.

We will be following the DEV - UAT - LIVE development cycle.  For DEV what I currently have is a virtual machine that is running Windows Server 2003(64 bit) + SQL Server 2008 + CRM

In the past I have developed locally using VS and promoted changes to the VM.  This was preffered as it kept the VM clean and in most cases we would not install VS on a UAT or LIVE server.  I know i can still communicate with the CRM web service from my local machine when writing custom code or plugins.  I think it makes debugging a bit more tricky.

Does this setup seem to be the general rule of thumb or are people happy to have VS also installed on the VM to aid development in the DEV environment?  I have always been one to keep the VM as clean as possible so it correctly refelect UAT and LIVE environments.

I should also add that we are going to have two developers work on CRM projects but we are trying to standardise the DEV environments.  This obviously comes with its own issues in terms of keeping track of customizations etc.

I am happy to hear your thoughts.

Friday, August 6, 2010 11:45 AM

Answers