none
DELL Poweredge sc1420 sever RRS feed

• Question

• Has ayone tried to install WHS on this type of server I have one here at my home that is running SBS right now but feel that WHS is more of what I am looking for with less of the over head like exchange server and sql server like its running now.

as of right now it has 256meg of ram but I have a 2 gig stick on the way. it also has a 160 gig hard drive but I am looking to at 2 500 gig drives to give me 1 tb it also has a xeon pross in it at 3 gig with hperthreading the raid is not turned on in the server but it can be if really needed.

thanks for your help

Mark

Thursday, June 21, 2007 4:39 PM

Answers

• Heck I am running an IBM eServer 2.4G Xeon Processor...   Mine has not even hickupped like some of the things I am reading here...

Wonder if people pay attention tot he types of machines they are loading the software on???

Sunday, June 24, 2007 6:03 AM

All replies

• Mark

I am using a Dell Poweredge Server SC440 with 512MB Ram and 2.8 GHZ  dual core processor. I plan to up the ram -But it works fine.

I have seen installation with RAID but I  would leave the raid off.  Do not set it to "off" disable it completely.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 7:15 PM
  • I'm using a Dell PowerEdge SC430 with 1GB RAM and WHS seems to be running very well.
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 11:22 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, it will be fun to have all the 8 other systems that I have in home backed up with out me having to remember to turn it on. and not having to remember which one has that file I was looking for. hopping that the mem stick arrives soon so I can post some real msg's here.

Thanks again for the replys

Mark

Friday, June 22, 2007 12:21 PM
  •  

I have a Dell Poweredge 1300 with dual P3 850 procs, 1GB of RAM, and a mix of SCSI and IDE drives totalling 554GB.  It has been my home server for a couple of years.  It's got Windows 2000 Adv Server on it right now.  I'm testing WHS on an old E-Machines box.  It's only got a 1.1GHz Celeron and 512MB of RAM.  I'm planning on overhauling the Dell when WHS goes final.  I may do away with the SCSI and just load it up with a SATA card and a few new drives.   I'm tempted to put RC on the Dell now, but it's running so well I hate to mess with it.  It's nice to have a safety net in case WHS goes wonky.  What do you think?  Should I wait or just jump in now?

Sunday, June 24, 2007 1:13 AM
  • I'm runing WHS on a Dell PowerEdge 840, 2.8Ghz Celeron, 2GB of Ram and 1.8 TB of disk.  WHS is working fine.

Jon

Sunday, June 24, 2007 3:32 AM
  • Heck I am running an IBM eServer 2.4G Xeon Processor...   Mine has not even hickupped like some of the things I am reading here...

Wonder if people pay attention tot he types of machines they are loading the software on???

Sunday, June 24, 2007 6:03 AM
  • As you read in my 1st post my system is running SBS 2003 right now but on monday when the 2 gig stick arrives I am going to flip it over to WHS RC. I have had no trouble with SBS but it is a pain to keep up with with all that over head on the items that I really don't use. I fig that I would give WHS a try and if I really did not care for it I can always go back to SBS and use one of the back ups that was made to be right back to where I am now with it. I also just purchased a new card to put in the server that will now give me 4 sata ports as well as the 2 that I have on the mother board. Now enstead of the 2 500 gig drives I was looking at I thinks I am going to use 750 gig drived or if the price is right 4 1 TB drives so I will have 3 TB or 4 TB on it no mater how you look at it its a win win game for me.

Mark

Sunday, June 24, 2007 8:59 AM
  • Does anyone know whether Dell are planning to make dedicated home servers? I've seen HP mentioned, but not any other manufacturers.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 11:00 AM
  • Hi,

I'm just now experimenting with WHS on an SC1435, twin opteron, 8gb and 2x500 internal drives, with 5x500 drives in a modified 715N, all SATA's.

I've been talking to Dell tech support in Germany and they were very interested in this operation and said that although there is no official word on a Dell Home Server just now, they hope to have one out in the near future. (whenever that is!)

HTH

Colin

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 5:09 PM
  • Colin,

I'm up on a brand new SC1430 (Quad Core E5320 Processor 2X4MB Cache, 1.86GHz, Xeon 1066MHz Front Side Bus, 2GB 667MHz (2X1GB), Dual Ranked Fully Buffered DIMMs, (4) 250GB 7.2K RPM SATA II Hard Drives, SAS 5IR SAS, PCI-Express Internal RAID Adapter, Broadcom NetXtreme 5721 SinglePort Gigabit Ethernet NIC, Cu PCIe x1, 48X IDE CD-RW/DVD ROM Drive, Add-in SATA/SAS controller, 4 Hard Drives, RAID 0.). The only problem I had was during install, I couldn't get it to boot after the first portion of the install. I then tried turning off RAID, but it still didn't work. Finally had to go into BIOS and change boot sequence, then BINGO, worked like a champ. Other than the rempte access problems I've posted about elsewhere, I haven't had any problems with the hardware or software and I love it.

Mike

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 8:56 PM
  • Dear Jon,

Since 2 weeks I got my PowerEdge 840 from Dell for testing-purposes with WHS.
      But there's no chance I could get it work, because the setup won't even initialize
      a harddrive.

My 840 contains a Seagate 74GB 10k rpm, connected to Dell's Raid UCS-51
      At the moment no extra hdd's are present, so just this single master-hdd.

WHS-setup asks for some drivers of the controller, but which should I use?

tried every driver supplied with my 840 on cd: none works.

Do you or does someone else have ANY idea which driver I need (or BIOS-setting)

to get it working?

Important note: my Dell is straight from the factury, so I haven't changed anything

in sysBIOS or RAID-configs.

Kind regards,
      Bart Stens
      The Netherlands

Sunday, July 1, 2007 10:21 PM
  • Mike,

I just received the exact same server from Dell SC1430 w/ 4 250GB Seagate HD.  I am have a problem with the setup; (Hard drive capable of hosting Windows Home Server was not found.  Would you like to load additional storage drivers?).  I loaded that the SAS 5IR SAS driver that let me proceed with the installation, but would not boot after the installation.  I tried your suggestion with the change in boot sequence; no luck.  Did you have the same screen statement as above in your setup?  After re-boot the following:  I keep receiving this error message.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to you computer.  If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.  If yhis screen appears again, follow thes steps: 

Check for viruses on yourcomputer.  Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers.  Check you hard drive to mak sure it is properly configured and termined.  Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Steve

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 8:02 PM
  • Steve,

I didn't get that warning. Did you get the server with any OS installed? I got mine blank. Anyway, I went through the sae proble you did with it being unable to boot after installation. When you reboot, if it shows the hard disk as a single drive with 1TB capacity, then you have to go into the RAID setup (I think it was contol - C when booting, I'm not sure, but it shows you when booting) and disable the RAID configuration so you have JBOD. Then when you reboot, you will see the 4 250GB drives and all should be well. Turns out that the RAID controller makes it own little partition that is the only one it displays to the BIOS for boot, but WHS installs elsewhere which is why the computer won't boot. Go into the docs disc and look at the RAID options to double check me on this, it was hard to navigate through the screens to get to that setting. Now, ordinarily you wouldn't want JBOD for data integrity, but since WHS is doing it for you via DE, you're good to go. Hope this helps.

Mike

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 10:04 PM
  • Mike,

Thanks for the reply!  No, I did not receive the server with a OS installed; I also got mine blank.  I will show the four drive at boot up and then it starts  with a window blue screen in a repair or re-installation; it get about 30 seconds into booting and then it stops loading and then the error screen.  I guess I will open the box and check the setting on the HD's.   It seems to me that the drives for HD's or mass storage is/are not loading.  Oh well, back to the manuals and checking. 

Thanks again for the reply!

Steve 

Thursday, July 5, 2007 5:43 AM
  •  scarpen wrote:

Mike,

I will show the four drive at boot up and then it starts  with a window blue screen in a repair or re-installation; it get about 30 seconds into booting and then it stops loading and then the error screen.

Dear WHS-testers,

After 2 weeks of struggeling I want to give it all up: I simply can't get WHS working on my Dell PowerEdge 840. I've paid lots of money for the configuration with a 74GB Seagate 10k hdd, which Dell connected with some special SATA-plug to a RAID controller (PowerEdge SAS 5 IR).

The first problem that occured was that WHS-setup couldn't find any storage device to make its partition on, so after reading this forum I found out that the drivers I needed were on Dell's Download-page. So I got the XP, Win2k03 and Vista (all 3 the 32-bit drivers by the way) and put them on a usb stick.

Suddenly loading setup wen't fine with the drivers (I've used the Win2k03 ones, as plaform of WHS is 2003 I've read??) so setup starts, and takes about 40mins before its first reboot, and than the good-old blue setup-screen of Windows appears.

The familiar warning for pressing <F6> is shown on the bottom, so I loaded the drivers (again) of the RAID-controller (this time had to do it by floppydisk). Continuing copying setupfiles, it stops at copying the first files: lsi_sas.sys, lsi_sas.pdb, lsi_sas.inf and lsi_sas.tag.

Ignore error, continue copying. Gets to 100%, again a reboot. I'm surprized to see the Win2k03 logo (SmallBusiness) appearing on my screen :-P and after that: BOOM, the not very popular blue-error screen :-( Something about **** STOP: 0x0000007B....................

Is there anyone who is familiar with this server in combination with WHS? I've tried several builds, but they all halt at the same point/problem.

Or does someone has additional drivers which should work fine with the SAS 5 IR controller of Dell?

I know that I can buy another SATA-hdd with "normal" cable-connectors on it, and connect it to the onboard-SATA, but I've paid fo the fast 74GB 10k, and I guess it should work fine (as reading this forum with experiences of other users.)

Best regards,

Bart Stens

The Netherlands

Friday, August 17, 2007 2:40 PM
  • Bart

WHS does not support RAID.

Some members in the Forum wsa able to set up WHS with RAID , however most have since removed the RAID from there system.

I also have a Dell Poweredge Server running WHS (Dell Poweredge SC440) and  I disabled the RAID controller and I have had no problem.

You can keep trying but I advise that if its not to late (Dell return Policy might be 21 Days) return the RAID Controller.

Just one man's opinion.

Good Luck

Friday, August 17, 2007 5:07 PM
  • Hi Rouza,

thanks for your quick reply, as a matter of fact, I'm now adding all my PC's to my WHS, cuz it works fine now! (just need a faster Wifi-network I guess...)

Where was the problem (also very usefull for future buyers of the PowerEdge 840) >> Dell's SAS5IR drivers! After a 2hr. search I found the original drivers on the Net, without Dell's credits attached ;-) and those did work. Setup procedure went the same as I described at my previous post, but this time it did passed the Windows blue-setup-screen without any problems.

Rouza, I now understand the disadvantage of RAID, because of the fact that WHS uses it's own "disc-combining-tool", which works fine by me (now attached 3 internal hdd's and 2 external usb-discs, with a total of 1,6TB)

Hereby the link to the correct drivers for the Dell SAS5IR Raid Controller: http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/standard_product_ics/sas_ics/lsisas1068/index.html?remote=1&locale=EN (use the WHQL-one for Win2k03)

Kind regards,

Bart Stens

The Netherlands
    https://stensol.livenode.com

Friday, August 17, 2007 8:02 PM
  • Good to Know about the Drivers

Friday, August 17, 2007 8:09 PM
  • With SATA raid like on my Poweredge 850 do you disable it or ?

Is this done in BIOS or SATA Utility?

Tonight I install WHS

Friday, March 28, 2008 9:52 PM
  • scarpen here,

Yes, do turnoff the raid before installing WHS.  It has built-in drive extenders, acts like it's own raid.  Depending on what raid you have, it can be done in the startup bios or sata utilities.  In my SC1430, I have scsi drive w/ a SAS 5IR SAS raid control card.  I turned off the raid controller in my bios.  I just put the hd disk drivers on a thumbdrive, installed the thumbdrive in the computer before startup and turning it on.  Once the thumbdrive and DVD are loaded, then startup your computer.  The software will ask for any needed drivers, direct the location to the thumbdrive; highlight the drivers within the thumbdrive.  During the installation it will then look for and install the necessary drivers.  This is how I resolved my installation problem.  Good Luck!  Steve 

Saturday, March 29, 2008 4:06 PM
  • I just set up a Dell Poweredge SC440 a couple nights ago.  I actually fell asleep while it installed.  Woke up and it was done.  All I had to do was install drivers for the Broadcom NIC, and the chipset drivers.  Runs smooth and no problems.  As for hardware, I have 2GB ram, dual core Pentium, and the 4 bay esata enclosure from Newegg.  The esata box works great.  Just make sure you install only the drivers for the PCI-E card they supply, and not the software raid app.  Here is the link to the box:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816855007

It is interesting to note that the esata card supplied has two ports.  The enclosure only uses one.  The same manufacturer sells an 8 bay esata enclosure that has 2 x 4 port multipliers.  I think it is just two of the same one in the 4 bay box.  Theoretically you could just buy another 4 bay box and have 8 external drives. 

I am running two WD 750 GP drives in the server, and two 250gb WD YS drives (ones Dell supplied with the server) and one Seagate 320gb drive in the esata enclosure.  I have a Kill-a-Watt meter on it, and the whole setup, running through an APC 500va UPS, is drawing about 110 watts with heavy disk usage.  I have been transferring files off another NAS all day.  Cumulative power consumption in 10 hours 20 minutes has been 1.14 kwh.  This is with no add-ins to idle the server.  The WD GP drives are not the fastest, but they do draw less power, and the minor trade off in speed really does not matter on a file server.  I pulled the plug to see what kind of run time I could get from the UPS, setting it to shut the server down at 50% battery power, and I got about 8 minutes.  Plenty enough to ride out most power interruptions.  There are 4 sata connectors in the server, but only space (officially) for two drives.  There is another 3.5" internal bay open, but it doesn't look like there is squat for airflow around it, the power supply is only 305w, and I did not see an extra sata power connector.  Better to stick with the external enclosures.  Overall, I am very happy with this.  It is relatively good on power, very quiet, built like a tank (all steel case), and not too expensive.  If you skip the DVD drive and floppy (I got both), and just borrow a drive for installation, you can get these servers for about $500 delivered, with a dual core, 2gb ram, and 2x250 drives.

Sunday, March 30, 2008 11:39 PM
  • I pulled the two SATA drives (80 GIG) and then installed one 500 GIG WD SATA. I moved the drive off the raid card to the standard SATA card. I decided to go with two large drives to start. I internal 500 and a 500 gig Seagate external for 1 TB. I think that will be enough for now.

I am setting up the PowerEdge 850 and not installing all the DELL manager software. Doesnt seem to be any advantage with setting it up as a server.

Bought 2 of the PowerEdge 850 servers from work (they bought them a few months ago and they changed their direction) for $80 each so I got a super deal and they have never even been booted!!!! Each has over 600 days left of warranty. I am bumed that they didnt put 2 gigs in each. I have to buy it Smile  

Anyways I am setting one up as a WHS and the other as a Windows Media Center and adding a TV device for DVR on the WMC system. They are both in the same rack so it all works out nice. I will run svideo witha power extender to push it to my home entertainment center along with audio. Will be using an external USB soundblaster if it works with WHS???

Anyone heard how a program called ACTIVEHOME PRO works within WHS. I see there is an add-on program for these devices but I bought this all ready.

Friday, April 4, 2008 9:33 PM
  •  In looking for some other info I ran across this old post and I thought I'd add to it and bring it back up... While I can't speak for the brand new Dell servers they are probably configured very similar in that they have a RAID key to allow the built in RAID to work. I've tried too to load on RAID too in the Dells... You can't use the integrated RAID controller that Dell supplies at all. I've tried three different Dell RAID controllers in three different Dell servers... 1550(Dual 1.4ghz), 2450(dual 1ghz), and 2650(dual 2.8ghz). Since WHS doesn't support RAID of this type... even if you do press F-6 to load the driver... you need to use straight SCSI or SATA configuration in these servers... also remove or disable any SCSI  backplane daughterboards that may be in the server to split up the backplane into a different config. WHS needs to have direct access to any hard drives you have installed in the server. I have run WHS on the 1550(Dual 1.4ghz) with three SCSI drives sucessfully for a few weeks before obtaining a free dual 733mhz 2450 that has the rare 5th drive slot... After reconfiguring the 2450 for regular scsi operation I loaded those 5 slots with 146gb hard drives and loaded WHS on the 2450 which went without a hitch... its been running fine for many months now with out so much as a hickup and I've yet to see any of the disastrous file corruption problems occur that others have mentioned on these threads, it is also on about a 750va UPS as well. Setting up to run on the 2650 went the same as the 2450, without a hitch... A friend is using this server now for over a month trouble free.

Personally I wouldn't waste a whole lot of time or money with the shiny new Dell servers. These old servers can be bought dirt cheap and are far better built on a stainless steel chassis no less and they are super reliable... Dell built their reputation on these models of older servers during the time frame they were selling them. There is also a plethora of parts available as well if you want to do upgrades. Just do an E-Bay for any of the models I mentioned and for motherboards, power supplies, CPU's, memory, etc. and you'll see what I mean. My 2450 has about every upgrade you can do to it... 1ghz cpu's, 64 bit PCIx riser, DVD drive, etc and I spent less than 150.00 on these upgrades. Sure its just a P-3 server... who cares really... it hasn't even hickuped once in many months its been running! In essence you need to be a bit technically savvy to deal with these servers but you can spend just several hundred dollars and end up with a better server than you can buy new for hundreds of dollars more! Wife says no to the rack mount server then just look for an of the older Dell tower server that is just the tower versions of the 2450 or 2650, like a Poweredge 2500... they exist and are just as inexpensive.

In all fairness I will mention that large SCSI hard drives are alot more expensive than their current SATA counterparts especially if you just get them from the local computer supply... however SCSI is far far more reliable than any of its current SATA counterparts and it can be just as fast if not faster... The key here is to take your time and shop wisely. You can get new 80 pin 146gb SCSI drives for as little as $120.00 each on Ebay...  I've even seen brand new 80 pin 300gb SCSI drives go for as little as $200.00 on e-bay and you can shop for and add drives at your leisure with the add a drive feature in WHS.

Mark

Sunday, April 27, 2008 4:07 PM
  • I use a Dell SC440 with 2x750 WD GP drives in the server, and the terabox 4 bay external enclosure with an esata card.  2gb ram and dual core.  Works great, and will stream DVD quality video to my media center PC no problem.  Power consumption is 100-110 watts for the whole thing, depending on disk activity.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 4:53 PM
  • SBS with Exchange and SQL running on 256MB of memory?

I'm amazed it ran at all.

markbento wrote:

Has ayone tried to install WHS on this type of server I have one here at my home that is running SBS right now but feel that WHS is more of what I am looking for with less of the over head like exchange server and sql server like its running now.

as of right now it has 256meg of ram but I have a 2 gig stick on the way. it also has a 160 gig hard drive but I am looking to at 2 500 gig drives to give me 1 tb it also has a xeon pross in it at 3 gig with hperthreading the raid is not turned on in the server but it can be if really needed.

thanks for your help

Mark

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 10:48 PM
  • If you are able to successfully install whs into an operating environment, you may need to install the storage drivers while logged into whs desktop and before rebooting. My storage drives on my non-raid enabled raid controller did not appear until I did this. Mines not a server board but has 2 seperate drive controller chipsets. One worked during setup, one did not.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:34 PM
  •  

I have a Dell PowerEdge 400SC server with a PC Power and Cooling 450watt PS. I'm running the following disks:

- 500GB WD SATA (Sys/Data)

- 500GB WD SATA (Data)

- 500GB Seagate IDE (Data)

- 500GB WD IDE (Data)

- 250GB WD IDE (Data)

- 250GB WD IDE (Data)

- 400GB Seagate IDE on Promise ATA/133 card (DATA)

- 250GB WD IDE on Promise ATA/133 card (DATA)

3.6GB internal disk total storage, duplication turned on. The CPU is a 2.8GHz hyper-threaded P4 with 2GB ECC RAM. No problems running WHS in this configuration

I also hook up 3 or 4 external 1394/USB2 hard drives, whatever is available at the time...

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 5:56 PM
  • I've been running WHS on the Dell PowerEdge 400SC since the beginning of the year and all is well. The server is stable and performs well. Having newer drives, premium power supply and adequate cooling are the key, I believe!
    Art Zasadny
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:17 PM