How can I convert my license which was tied to my employment to a perpetual license. RRS feed

• Question

• I have received a Microsoft 2007 Home Use Program from my employer but the right to use this software is tied to employment according to the note on the back of the case. I'm retired now so I would like to convert my current license to a perpetual license. According to what I have read in the license terms this is possible but I forgot to write down the link where I can do the conversion. I tried to download the disc again to go back to the information section but the only available option was to update the program.

Friday, February 4, 2011 4:10 AM

Answers

• No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:24 AM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:24 AM

All replies

• Hello Konenchi-51,

I'm a little confused about your question.

I am not sure what program you are referring to when you say "Microsoft 2007".  Are you referring to Microsoft Office or Microsoft Windows?

And I don't know what you mean by "right to use this software is tied to employment according to the note on the back of the case".  Is the note you are referring to the Certificate of Authenticity? Can you tell me what it says (do not post the Product Key).

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Friday, February 4, 2011 9:36 PM
  • I have received a Microsoft 2007 Home Use Program from my employer but the right to use this software is tied to employment according to the note on the back of the case. I'm retired now so I would like to convert my current license to a perpetual license. According to what I have read in the license terms this is possible but I forgot to write down the link where I can do the conversion. I tried to download the disc again to go back to the information section but the only available option was to update the program.

You are correct that when you are no longer employed by by the issuer of the Home Use License then you are no longer permitted to use the Office product.

The pertinent parts of the EULA for Office 2007 is:

12.  HOME USE RIGHTS SOFTWARE.  You must be a "Home Use Rights User" to use software marked as "Home Use Rights Edition."  To be a Home Use
    Rights User, you must be both:
    ·  an employee of an organization that has a Microsoft Volume License agreement with Software Assurance, and
    ·  the user of a licensed copy of the software, or a product that includes the software, with active Software Assurance.  

If the following is what you read then you are still NOT permitted to upgrade as that is for an upgrade from a previous version of Office or upgrading to a different version of Office such as going from Office 2003 to Office 2007.

13.  UPGRADE OR CONVERSION.  To upgrade or convert software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligible for the upgrade or conversion.  Upon upgrade or conversion, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software you upgraded or converted from.  After you upgrade or convert, you may no longer use the earlier version of the software you upgraded or converted from.

I can not find any place on Microsoft's web site or the latest version of "Microsoft Product Use Rights (Worldwide)" that shows that you can convert a HUP license to a perpetual license.  As Office 2007 is no longer sold by Microsoft (some versions still available in stores) I would doubt that you could now covert to 2007 even if it had been available.   As all Office 2010 retail programs are full install versions (no upgrades) I feel that you would still be stuck with the full retail cost anyhow.
    Monday, February 7, 2011 2:54 AM
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:24 AM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:24 AM