100% CPU when moving files (PP 2 ?) and a Q about storage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all!

I'm gonna make this a 2 part question

1.)
    24/3 my Home Server installed PP2 and after that my file transfers slowed down, alot!
    When trying to move a dvd ISO(approx 4.3 GB) yesterday, my speed was, according to my Vista, 1-3 MB/sec, used to be atleast 15-20 before. When checking the server it runned CPU on 100%, different applications went to the top but a FileService.exe (not sure abut the name right now) took most time. Any idea on whats wrong?

I have a Gigabyte router, Gigabyte nc, and Cat6 cables.

2.)
    The other issue:
    I have physically have 4 disks in my server. Two of these are full, aint the server supposed to move the data evenly over all the disks? Is this, or could it be, a problem?

See screeshot here

Friday, March 27, 2009 10:23 AM

Answers

• We'll need more detail for the first question, such as the exact name of the process consuming CPU time on your server. I haven't seen any loss of network performance with Power Pack 2, so I believe it's something specific to your environment.

The answer to the second question is that Windows Home Server does not balance (i.e. evenly distribute) file across all your drives.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Leckin Friday, March 27, 2009 10:57 PM
    Friday, March 27, 2009 2:48 PM
  • Thanks for your answer, i found the answer for the first question in another thread:

i simply ran the VB script found here, it was a DMA problem. Now im back to speeds around 30 mb/sec.

Friday, March 27, 2009 10:56 PM

All replies

• We'll need more detail for the first question, such as the exact name of the process consuming CPU time on your server. I haven't seen any loss of network performance with Power Pack 2, so I believe it's something specific to your environment.

The answer to the second question is that Windows Home Server does not balance (i.e. evenly distribute) file across all your drives.

Friday, March 27, 2009 2:48 PM
  • Thanks for your answer, i found the answer for the first question in another thread:

i simply ran the VB script found here, it was a DMA problem. Now im back to speeds around 30 mb/sec.

Friday, March 27, 2009 10:56 PM
  • Please note that if your hard drive has dropped back to PIO mode, this may indicate a problem with a disk drive or your hard disk controller; when certain types of errors are detected Windows steps the disk back one level from it's current setting. You should monitor the situation carefully and be prepared to replace the disk if needed.
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 6:36 PM