The dynamic DNS information cannot be updated RRS feed

• Question

• After 6 months of WHS 2011 running perfectly with DNS services provided by GoDaddy as part of the WHS 2011 purchase, DNS updating has come to a halt.  There were no changes made to my server prior to this happening.  It just popped up as an alert in my dashboard.  I am advised to contact my domain name provider.  Who is that?  Microsoft or GoDaddy?  I tried GoDaddy and they say they have no record of my domain name.  Their web site does not appear to have much related to dynamic DNS services.  Is Microsoft any help when this happens?  I seem to have run into a dead end.  This has nothing to do with hibernation.  Who is supposed to update the information for a dynamic DNS server?
    Friday, May 4, 2012 8:14 AM

Answers

• For almost five hours I did nothing with my WHS 2011 server.  Then I fired up the dashboard and the alert about dynamic DNS information unable to update was gone.  Just like that it was back to updating.  Of course, I am pleased but what does one do if it happens again?
    Friday, May 4, 2012 6:52 PM

All replies

• I am getting a similar alert on WHS v1.

"Windows Home Server cannot connect to Windows LiveT Custom Domains servers"
    and that my WHS cannot connect to Windows LiveT. However, I can still connect to my WHS web page from outside my network, so I suspect the problem is with the Windows LiveT Custom Domain servers.  I have a dynamic ip address, but it hasn't changed in over two years.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    : After 6 months of WHS 2011 running perfectly with DNS services provided by GoDaddy as part of the WHS 2011 purchase, DNS updating has come to a halt. There were no changes made to my server prior to this happening. It just popped up as an alert in my dashboard. I am advised to contact my domain name provider. Who is that? Microsoft or GoDaddy? I tried GoDaddy and they say they have no record of my domain name. Their web site does not appear to have much related to dynamic DNS services. Is Microsoft any help when this happens? I seem to have run into a dead end. This has nothing to do with hibernation. Who is supposed to update the information for a dynamic DNS server?
    :

BullDawg
    Friday, May 4, 2012 9:31 AM
  • I can no longer connect to my WHS 2011 web page from outside of my network. 

This is the response I received from GoDaddy:  "Thank you for your reply. Our domain management does not support dynamic DNS. Aside from that, it appears the domain XXXXXXXXXXXXX is not registered through us and is currently available for registration. Without further account information we would be unable to determine what service you might have had with us or if you had any domains with us. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Going to Server Settings in the WHS 2011 dashboard contains these details:

Domain name:  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Domain name service provider:  Windows Server domain name

User name:  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Does this mean that WHS 2011 is its own domain name service provider?  Is WHS 2011 supposed to update the information for dynamic DNS?  If so, why isn't it working anymore?

And what is the deal with GoDaddy? Do they only supply the certificate?

I wish Microsoft was more transparent about how this all works (I my case now, doesn't work anymore).

Friday, May 4, 2012 12:52 PM
  • I'm am also having the same issue.  However, I have been using WHS for a few years now first v1 and just recently upgraged to 2011 about 3 months ago.  And I do remember the same this happening probably about a year ago when DDNS registration went down for about 16 hours.  It's a Microsoft service so I'm sure it will come back online soon but it's strange that we don't see any announcement from MS about it yet.  Though it maybe to considered a lower priority issue to them.  Even though it's a huge issue for those of us who are used to being able to access our HomeServer and/or network through our nice domains that Microsoft provides.
    Friday, May 4, 2012 1:12 PM
  • When a tire on my car goes flat I know where to bring it to get it repaired.

When my WHS 2011 cannot update its dynamic DNS information, where do I go?  What do I do?

Microsoft? 

Friday, May 4, 2012 2:01 PM
  • This is happening for me since Monday I think. For some reason the message stopped 2 days ago, but it's now back. I'm using Storage Server, it's a .remotewebaccess godaddy domain.
    Friday, May 4, 2012 2:49 PM
  • For almost five hours I did nothing with my WHS 2011 server.  Then I fired up the dashboard and the alert about dynamic DNS information unable to update was gone.  Just like that it was back to updating.  Of course, I am pleased but what does one do if it happens again?
    Friday, May 4, 2012 6:52 PM
  • I had a similar issue, just left it alone, could still do everything I need to do and today when I got home it was gone. I found that when I tried to do things to fix this it didn�??t work, just gave it a couple of days and it would fix itself.
    Friday, May 4, 2012 9:59 PM
  • I just had the same issue, but it was caused by changing my Windows Live password!!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, May 4, 2012 10:10 PM