Multiple Internet Connections to One PC RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am not sure that I am asking this in the right place, but here it goes...

I'm basically wondering whether it is possible under a Windows platform to use multiple internet connections at the same time. (i.e. an ethernet adapter, and one or more wireless cards.)

I know that it can be done under Ubuntu, but I wanted to give it a shot windows, preferably on XP, and if not, Vista.

More specifically, I'm want to plug a PC into a ethernet jack, and also use one or more  wireless signals at the same time, to give my computer more bandwidth on a server. As well, although this may be stretching things a little, I'm wondering whether it is possible to take this connection, and then transmit it through a wireless router, to give a laptop a better wireless connection.

Then, if this is possible, how can it be done on Windows?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Bandwidthseeker
    Saturday, January 5, 2008 7:09 AM

All replies

• Well, both your ethernet and wireless are going to the same "router"?  IF they are, you are still limited by the single line bandwidth of your internet connection going into the router.  I do know that you can have multiple LAN/WLAN connections on a VISTA/XP machine but they aren't "raided" together..  They each will have their own ip address and such.  My laptop is wired into my router, but I can also connect it wirelessly if I wanted to.  There's no pro really to this because it uses one or the other for applictions (pending on what you tell it to) not both.
    Saturday, January 5, 2008 8:49 AM
  • Actually, what I want to do is use multiple internet connections at the same time, so I could have more bandwidth on the server than a single connection. It would be multiple connections going into the router, and one coming out. It's actually in a university residence which has one ethernet jack in my room, but also has WiFi thoroughout the entire building. What I've decided I'm going to do is install Ubuntu with a command line interface  on an old computer and configure it as a personal server in my room which will essentially use a reverse NAT to take in the wired ethernet connection, as well as several USB WiFi connections, and put it out through a wireless router to my iBook. 

Thanks for the advice though...
    Saturday, January 5, 2008 9:14 AM
  • Bandwidthseeker, unless all of those wired and wireless connections that you plan to aggregate are different physical internet connections you won't gain any bandwidth as a result. You are going to be limited by the fact that all "your" connections funnel down to a single wire with limited bandwidth. In the environment you describe, there is likely only one connection to the university network for the entire building, so the speed of that connection will be your limiting factor.
    Saturday, January 5, 2008 2:19 PM
  • I believe that the bandwidth is limited on a single connection though. I've been one of 2 people in the building for a month, and I am getting the same speeds as when there is 400 people. Wouldn't that mean that the connection, even though it is going into the building as one line, is a lot stronger entering the building than in any individual residence room? The ethernet connection is split between different wings and different floors, from what I've observed. However, the WiFi is accessible pretty much anywhere. I can have 4 or 5 laptops in my room at once that can all connect to the wireless system at the same speed as if there is 1 laptop. If I put together multiple wireless signals, all at the regular strength, and an ethernet connection at the same time, wouldn't it basically be giving me the access capabilities of multiple computers on one?

EditStick out tongueS I've checked university policies, this does not violate any of them.
    Saturday, January 5, 2008 5:08 PM