WHS behind SBS 2003 Server RRS feed

• Question

• Currently the problem I am having is getting remote service to work.  I have a SBS 2003 and the WHS running.  The WHS has a static IP outside the scope of DHCP on the server.  The server has two network cards that connect it to the network and a 2wire 1701hg router.  I have setup the web service to run on a different port so the ip address is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:81.  I would like to have external access to the WHS along with or SBS 2003.  Is this possible? Please help.

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 8:39 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server doesnt' support "multi-homing", where you have two network interfaces configured simultaneously. So shut down one network interface (remove the NIC).

Other than that, it's possible (but unsupported) to move the remote access web site to port 81. It's not really needed, however; if you're not using SSL on your SBS box, you can simply forward ports 80 and 4125 to that box, and port 443 to your home server. If you connect to e.g. https://myserver.homeserver.com (or anything else that points to your WAN IP address) you'll connect to your Windows Home Server.

Note, however, that you will not be able to configure Remote Web Workplace on your SBS box and your home server simultaneously. They're both wired to port 4125, so you will have to choose one (the SBS box would be my suggestion) to supply remote desktop connectivity.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 12:21 PM
  • The WHS server does not have the two NIC's the SBS server does.  We already use the SBS server for many things including remote access.  The 2Wire router supports up to five static ip addresses which we have from AT&T, I just wanted users to be able to get files off the WHS box.  I guess I will just use the backup feature for now.  It appears that WHS and other Windows Server software were not intended to be on the same network.
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:08 PM
  • The WHS server does not have the two NIC's the SBS server does. We already use the SBS server for many things including remote access. The 2Wire router supports up to five static ip addresses which we have from AT&T, I just wanted users to be able to get files off the WHS box. I guess I will just use the backup feature for now. It appears that WHS and other Windows Server software were not intended to be on the same network.
    If you can use your SBS to log in remotely to a machine on your network, then you can access the WHS files in Windows Explorer by using the local IP address of your WHS.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:40 PM
  • I want to start with a thank you for anyone that responds.  The remote file access was the additional thing I was looking for in WHS for sales persons to get access to files without a lot of steps.  I had been using FTP on our server but once active we had many attacks from other users trying to get into our system.  I was looking for a secure way of having users get files.  I wanted their user login to be the way they accessed the shared files for sales.  They also have the need to place files in the location from remote.  These are users that do not have a computer in our office and have many different type OS such as Windows XP to Windows 7 on their desktop or laptop computers they use for business.

I believe I will be going back to a VPN type login with the users going to a shared location.  Thier associates will then use a different location to access the read only part of the files.  FTP just does not give the security I was looking for in the remote process.

Thanks again for any response.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 2:05 PM