How Do I Identify a Drive? RRS feed

• Question

•  

That is not installed as part of the pool?

Here is the story. My D-Link NAS (DSM-G600) stopped working. Power light just blinks. I can hear drive activity so I pulled the drive and installed it into my server. Hoping to be able to save the data. Of course it was the backup.

I have my server drives as follows; IDE-1 Pri-Hardrive (C&D), IDE-1 Sec-? IDE-2 Pri DVD, IDE-2 Sec Storage (added to pool)

The drive shows in console as "not added" but can not see it from RDP/ Explorer. Can someone tell me how to "See" it and copy the contents to my server?

Thursday, January 24, 2008 5:11 PM

All replies

• Open up disk management (diskmgmt.msc typed in a Run dialog will do it).
    • Assign the drive (I assume you can identify it there) a drive letter.
    • Copy files from the newly visible drive to \\server\<sharename> as required.
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 7:02 PM
  • Thanks Ken, I knew I could count on you. I was able to identify the drive in disk manager, but....... Always a but.. It is not recognised as a NTFS drive. The assign drive letter is grey'd out. It also shows as 100% free. It does show 2 partitions on the drive. They both show as "Healthy Unknown Partition"  is there something I need to do to get the option to assign a drive letter?

Thursday, January 24, 2008 8:05 PM
  • Ignore the above, it won't work in this case. Smile

The DSM-G600 is a Linux-based NAS device; it uses a different filesystem (not sure which one, I'm afraid, as D-Link doesn't document that anywhere I've seen). You could try connecting it to a client PC and booting a Linux LiveCD. There's a pretty good chance you could mount it that way, then copy the files off to the server using the SMB shares.
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 9:34 PM
  • Yes you are correct Ken, I did a bit more research and found that it runs on EXT3 filesystem. I found a program that will allow use of the EXT3 drives in Windows. DL'd and ran it. Was able to give the partitions drive letters, but still can not see any files. I need to figure out how to "Mount" the drive they have a diagnostic exe that is supposed to fix that, but I can't figure out how to run it. I need to run "mountdiag.exe M:" or maybe "mountdiag M:" from a command prompt. I have DL'd it to Desktop.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 10:02 PM
  • Good luck! Oh, and write a "how to" when you're done. Smile
    Friday, January 25, 2008 3:33 AM
  • Hi Ken, I just wanted to Thank You for your help with this. It is clear now that it is way off topic, so I'll try to resolve it elsewhere. You were right, I loaded a "Live" version of Ubuntu Linux and am able to see files and folders. Yeah! But the Live version will not let me move or copy them. At least I know I can still get them back somehow.

Again Thanks Ken.

Ron

Friday, January 25, 2008 1:48 PM
  • Ron, what I had in mind was something along the lines of mounting one of the Windows Home Server SMB shares up in Linux, just the way you did that drive. Then you should be able to copy your files to WHS. You should be able to supply credentials when you mount the share, or you could enable the Guest account with full access to one of your shares temporarily.
    Friday, January 25, 2008 5:28 PM