CRM 4.0 to CRM 2011 - Upgradation Vs. Migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

My client is using CRM 4.0 online version since 5 years, so system is heavily customized now. Now they want to go with CRM 2011. I have done some reseach and found that there are two options to achieve this:

1) Import Organization - In which we have seperate server with CRM 2011 installed on it. We need to run import organization in this.

2) Inplace upgradation (Also called migration) - Which people not recommended because it should be done on production server where crm 4.0 is running.

We have already done UAT by using first approach. I faced some issues during the process and we fixed it. Now when we open new CRM 2011, i found data moved correctly. Only issue was in some javascripts and custom pages.

I want to try second approach. What is the pre and post requisite for this? I am planning to do this by preparing new server which will be copy of my existing CRM 4.0 production server.

Thanks,
    Ravi

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Ravi,

Option 2 won’t fix your issues with javascripts and custom pages. Option 1 is the recommended one and you will need to manually fix/upgrade the javascripts and custom pages.

Regards,
    Damian Sinay

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:42 PM
  • Both options use the same process for upgrading the database and customisations, so you should end up in the same state whichever option you use (one difference may be the custom pages, and the links to them)

The main consideration when trying option 2 on a copy of the server is the server name. It is not simple to change the server name of a CRM server (especially if it also runs SQL and/or SSRS), but you can't have duplicate server names on the same network. The new server would have to be able to communicate with a domain controller, so would normally have to be on the network. Overall, if you have a new server, you will find it easiest to go with option 1

Microsoft CRM MVP - http://mscrmuk.blogspot.com/ http://www.excitation.co.uk

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Thanks for the reply guys..

I am getting more clear now. When i try to run CRM 2011 server setup on machine where CRM 4.0 is already installed (to do UAT with second approach on my original post), it's not allow me. It's giving me MsiOpenPackage error when installing CRM 2011. I found in below link that,its due to CRM RC version installed on that server. Can anyone please tell me where i can find it? Do i need to uninstall it? I just have CRM 4.0 installed on it, i am not sure why its giving me this error.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:51 AM