Why am I being asked to renew my One Care two months after installing? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I purchased Windows Live One Care in late August.  It is suppose to be good for 1 year.  It is now early December - 2 months after installation - and I am receiving a notification that I have two days to renew my account. I am not sure what is going on, can someone point me in the right direction.
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007 8:34 AM

Answers

All replies

• Check the PC data and time. If it is a future date, that would explain the expiration warning. Confirm your subscription status at http://billing.microsoft.com

If your subscription is correct on the Billing site and your PC data is correct, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 8:00 PM
  • My time is set to the present.  I called the Circuit City that sold me the laptop and loaded the One Care package that I purchased. 

They told me to resolve I should remove One Care and reload.  They gave me an email address and password.  I used this address and had no problem reloading.  It now says that my subscription ends in March.  Again, I purchased One Care in end of August 2007.  March is 5 months short.  

Do you have any idea of what is going on here?  I am a bit surprised that Circuit City is using a private hotmail address and password as the registration point for software I purchased.  

Your advice please...

Thanks.  

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 8:22 AM
  • Do you still have the retail package and key from your OneCare purchased with the laptop? I suspect that Circuit City gave you the wrong LiveID for your subscription. When Circuit City configured OneCare for you, they were supposed to give you a paper with the registration information - the LiveID and password that they used for activation.

If you go to http://billing.microsoft.com and sign in with the LiveID you just received, what does it show for the profile information?

If you still have the retail product key, contact OneCare support who can tell you what the LiveID for your key is supposed to be.

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 6:23 PM
  • I attempted to log-in with the One care ID they gave me.  The password does not work.  I have the box that the one care CD was in when Circuit City sold it to me.  How can I find the retain product key?  I did not receive any sort of registration information.  -Jeff

Thursday, December 13, 2007 9:14 AM
  •  Jeff Borda wrote:
    I attempted to log-in with the One care ID they gave me.  The password does not work.  I have the box that the one care CD was in when Circuit City sold it to me.  How can I find the retain product key?  I did not receive any sort of registration information.  -Jeff

The retail product key is inside the plastic box case on the back of the CD holder tray - a yellow sticker.

-steve

Thursday, December 13, 2007 7:32 PM
  • In an earlier message you said "If you still have the retail product key, contact OneCare support who can tell you what the LiveID for your key is supposed to be."

How do I contact OneCare support?  I just spent an hour trying to find out, but no luck.  This is complicated...  Should be much more user/customer friendly!

Monday, December 17, 2007 5:12 PM
  • You're absolutely correct, Jeff. It should be much easier. :-(

In my first reply above is a link to a FAQ on how to reach support.

-steve

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 1:29 AM
  •  

I just got a lovely e-mail saying that my subscription had been cancelled.  I installed it back on 8/7/07 and didn't get any kind of notice about it expiring, other than the e-mail, before the light went red.  I'm honestly pretty upset about this, I purchased 2 copies so I could put it on 5 machines, I've used the service for over a year and a half now and haven't had any problems and recommeded it to many people (even when, as a tech, my company wanted me to push other programs).  I now have a machine that I can't (won't) put on the internet until this gets fixed (the other two machines I put this on are no longer on the net anyway).  And I agree with the poster above, contacting these guys should be a whole lot easier.
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 6:19 AM
  • [
     todd1701d wrote:

I just got a lovely e-mail saying that my subscription had been cancelled.  I installed it back on 8/7/07 and didn't get any kind of notice about it expiring, other than the e-mail, before the light went red.  I'm honestly pretty upset about this, I purchased 2 copies so I could put it on 5 machines, I've used the service for over a year and a half now and haven't had any problems and recommeded it to many people (even when, as a tech, my company wanted me to push other programs).  I now have a machine that I can't (won't) put on the internet until this gets fixed (the other two machines I put this on are no longer on the net anyway).  And I agree with the poster above, contacting these guys should be a whole lot easier.

Since you just got the email, take a look at this thread for a known issue affecting some subscribers - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2572904&SiteID=2

Note that you are still protected, despite the red expired notice.

-steve

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 8:32 PM
  •  

Here also.  email yesterday saying my onecare had been cancelled, and the billing web site says it expired.  I renewed in August 2007, just 4 months ago.

It would be nice to see some customer service from Microsoft, explaining there is an issue.  An email to all onecare users, or a splash on the onecare home page to explain the error.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 2:33 AM
  •  mikemx wrote:

Here also.  email yesterday saying my onecare had been cancelled, and the billing web site says it expired.  I renewed in August 2007, just 4 months ago.

It would be nice to see some customer service from Microsoft, explaining there is an issue.  An email to all onecare users, or a splash on the onecare home page to explain the error.

Very good point, mikemx. I wish that they would provide an official message on the home page, or at least here. At this point, consider my post semi-official as I have been in contact with the OneCare team since yesterday when the problem first appeared (and affected my wife's retail subscription, too). They are working hard to identify the cause of and resolve the problem.

Please take further discussion on this to the thread in the Install forum referenced in my post above.

-steve

Thursday, December 20, 2007 2:52 AM