Any way to get standby option with WHS and onboard Intel 950 graphics? RRS feed

• Question

• I built a Windows Home Server (OEM software) using an ECS 945GCD-M motherboard which has an integrated Intel Atom 330 CPU and Intel 945GC Northbridge for onboard graphics.  While using the standard onboard VGA Graphics Adapter, I downloaded and installed all the Windows Home Server updates through Powerpack 3, backed up three other computers, and transferred a couple of terabytes of data to storage before I realized that there was no standby option available in the power options.  The server is functioning normally except for my inability to find or load a graphics driver for the chipset that will allow me to upgrade from the standard VGA graphics adapter.  I would really like to be able to put the server into standby mode, rather than have to wait for the server to resume from hibernation, and I'm not sure that the LightsOut Add-in will work as well without the standby feature. 

I have downloaded from the Intel website and tried to install all the various incarnations of 32-bit Windows drivers from Win2K through XP, Vista, and 7, but they all fail to install with the error message that WHS is not a supported operating system.  I scavenged a Radeon 4350 from a HTPC I have at home and installed the 4350 in the PCI express slot of the ECS motherboard, thinking that I could use a cheap video card in the system to try to load a more advanced video driver, but I had no success with this trick either; all the ATI drivers I downloaded for this card would only install the Catalyst manager, but not the actual video drivers.  (Afterwards in Device Manager there would be a highlighted exclamation point next to the VGA Graphics Adapter).  The only option related to video in the BIOS of this motherboard is to select whether the PCI or PCIE slot is the primary boot device, and my PCI slot is occupied by a Silicon Image 3114 adapter for additional SATA drives, so I have left the setting at PCIE.  I tried removing the SATA Card from the PCI slot and installing the various video drivers with the same lack of results.

In the past, I had tried loading the trial version of WHS on a recent AMD system with onboard graphics and didn't have any trouble then loading advanced video drivers, since I was going to try to use this system as a combination server and HTPC (but chose not to for other reasons).  At this point, I wondered if loading all the WHS updates before updating the video drivers was a cause of this problem, so I loaded Windows Home Server on another old system I had at home, which used an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe Motherboard, Pentium 4 2.4GHz CPU, and a Radeon 9250 AGP video card.  This time before downloading any of the upgrades for WHS, I was successfully able to load a Win2K ATI video driver and now I have both standby and hibernation available in the power options of WHS in this system. 

I'm now wondering what I should try next to get the standby mode working on the Atom Motherboard.  Should I reinstall WHS, and try to load the video drivers before downloading any of the WHS updates?  Does anyone know of any video drivers that work with WHS and the Intel 945GC Northbridge?  Any other tricks to get the standby mode working?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 8:32 PM

Answers

• Ken:

Thank you so much!  Your suggestion worked, and now I have standby enabled with the Windows XP graphic driver.  You saved what little hair is left on top of my head; I've been pulling it out for the past day!

Thanks,
    Texerdoc
    • Marked as answer by Texerdoc Monday, January 25, 2010 1:28 AM
    Monday, January 25, 2010 1:28 AM

All replies

• The problem is the "in box" video driver, which doesn't support stand by. When you install the correct drivers doesn't matter, noly that you do so. You can try to force Windows XP drivers to install by running the installer in the appropriate compatibility mode, but I won't guarantee the results.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 25, 2010 12:53 AM
  • Ken:

Thank you so much!  Your suggestion worked, and now I have standby enabled with the Windows XP graphic driver.  You saved what little hair is left on top of my head; I've been pulling it out for the past day!

Thanks,
    Texerdoc
    • Marked as answer by Texerdoc Monday, January 25, 2010 1:28 AM
    Monday, January 25, 2010 1:28 AM