Recover data from WHS drivers after the server dies a hard death :( RRS feed

• Question

• I had my own WHS that I've been using since WHS was released.  The system finally died.  It will no longer make it to POST so instead of investing in a new MB, processor, memory etc.  I just bought one from Acer.  I like it a lot btw.  Anyway, my old server had 2 IDE drives and one SATA drive.  How do I get the data off of these drives?  If I put the SATA in my ACER WHS it wants to format the drive as part of the add process.  I can't use the other 2 IDE drives but I did buy a converter that lets me plug the IDE drives into a USB 2.0 port.  I can access the drive and I see all of the directories I want to copy over but it will not let me access the files.  How can I get the files off to copy them new my new WHS?  I really want all my music and pictures.  HELP!

Jim
    Monday, December 7, 2009 1:40 AM

Answers

All replies

• Jim:

Attach each drive to another PC on the network and then copy the files from the drive to the network share (\\server\Music\, etc).
    Monday, December 7, 2009 3:15 AM
  • See this FAQ .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, December 7, 2009 4:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jim_ATL Monday, December 7, 2009 6:00 AM
    Monday, December 7, 2009 4:01 AM
  • See above. I tried this.  It let me copy the directory names but that's it. None of the files would copy over.
    Jim
    Monday, December 7, 2009 5:09 AM
  • On the data drives there should be a folder like \DE\shares\Videos, etc.  Look in those folders to see if you can find your files.

I am currently going through this process myself - the only problem I am having trouble with is the DATA partition from the system drive.  So far I can't find any files on this drive.  In my system the Disk Management Add-In reported this drive as 75% full - it was a 500GB so there should have been 480GB (or 445GB depending on how you define GB) in this partition.  Where are the files?
    Monday, December 7, 2009 5:45 AM
  • Thanks Ken.  I am now recovering the data. :)
    Jim
    Monday, December 7, 2009 6:00 AM
  • On the data drives there should be a folder like \DE\shares\Videos, etc.  Look in those folders to see if you can find your files.

I am currently going through this process myself - the only problem I am having trouble with is the DATA partition from the system drive.  So far I can't find any files on this drive.  In my system the Disk Management Add-In reported this drive as 75% full - it was a 500GB so there should have been 480GB (or 445GB depending on how you define GB) in this partition.  Where are the files?

Don't trust disk management console in this place - it may also count tombstones etc.
    Usually drive D: is kept free in a multi disk scenario as long as there is enough space for the data (including backups and duplicated folders) on the other disks.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 7, 2009 3:54 PM
  • OK, but assuming that there were files on the data partition of the system drive, which can happen in some instances such as there is no other space for them, where would one find them?
    Monday, December 7, 2009 5:44 PM
  • They will be in a hidden folder named DE, just like on every other drive in the storage pool.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 7, 2009 6:33 PM