WHS2011 - 2 media centres show up in device list, New files not being updated in media centre index! RRS feed

• Question

• So I just installed WHS2011 and thought the media centre would work easily. It seems that any new files I put onto the server are not getting updated when I try and view them through the media centre. Also when I serach for media centres on another device it shows me two homeservers, one that say no files present and the other that has files (but doesn't seem to update the index!). What's going on? (the file types are the same as the other files taht are showing up fine)

It's a base install, the only change I have made is to move the dir to a new hdd and updated WHS settings to point to the updated serverfolder on the new hdd.

I have checked settings on the control panel media sharing section and it is on, I have also checked on the dashboard and the media cetnre is turned on.

Why are my new files not being updated in the index?

Why can I see two media servers on my other devices?

Saturday, April 21, 2012 6:55 AM

All replies

• I fixed one issue - seeing 2 media centres as homeserver on my other devices. The answer was so stupid that I couldn't believe it!

This seems counter-intuitive, why would I want to disable shared media? I want to share it, why would there be two placed to enable this? and why would you do it in the dashbaord rather than control panel!?

Anyway my issue of the index not getting updated still remains!

Saturday, April 21, 2012 7:04 AM
  • It's a base install, the only change I have made is to move the dir to a new hdd and updated WHS settings to point to the updated serverfolder on the new hdd.

From what you say, it sounds as though you've logged on to the WHS 2011 Administrator Desktop, and used Windows Explorer to move the media directory. Then, as an afterthought, used the WHS 2011 Dashboard to update the media library settings.

It's never a good idea to bypass the Dashboard to do things directly if you can avoid it. Things break, as you've discovered. You should have used the Dashboard to move the media folders. I'm not sure how you can undo the damage.

Saturday, April 21, 2012 1:23 PM
  •  and why would you do it in the dashbaord rather than control panel!?
    Because WHS is designed to be configured via the Dashboard and if you don't you are in danger of screwing things up!!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, April 21, 2012 1:29 PM
  • ... I'm not sure how you can undo the damage.

Probably:

1. Turn off media sharing in the dashboard.
    2. Delete the index (search this forum; there are numerous posts on how to go about this).
    3. Turn on media sharing in the dashboard.
    4. Wait until all your media has been indexed.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, April 21, 2012 6:14 PM
  • Thanks I have done this, and after the re-index the files appear

BUT

next time I download a file the same thing happens, so do I need to re-index all over again each and every time I put something new into the folder????

Sunday, April 22, 2012 1:16 AM
  • From what you say, it sounds as though you've logged on to the WHS 2011 Administrator Desktop, and used Windows Explorer to move the media directory. Then, as an afterthought, used the WHS 2011 Dashboard to update the media library settings.

It's never a good idea to bypass the Dashboard to do things directly if you can avoid it. Things break, as you've discovered. You should have used the Dashboard to move the media folders. I'm not sure how you can undo the damage.

Not correct, I created the new folders on the new hdd, then moved the directory via the dashboard
    Sunday, April 22, 2012 1:17 AM
  •  and why would you do it in the dashbaord rather than control panel!?
    Because WHS is designed to be configured via the Dashboard and if you don't you are in danger of screwing things up!!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

I don't disagree but if WHS makes a change via the dashbaord, it should update it's O/S (i.e. the control panel or anywhere else) to reflect the changes it has made. It seems like a poor excuse to say that you can configure WHS via the dashboard bu no where else in the system, if that's the case then you loose all the power and benefit of having a windows server at your command which can do much more than share folders and media, but by what you saying, Microsoft wants us to buy WHS to do solely that and ignore the rest of the feature set in windows server 2008
    Sunday, April 22, 2012 1:20 AM
  • <SmoL84> wrote in message news:53918a56-0611-4801-9abe-a9b1d3ad146a@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    : >> and why would you do it in the dashbaord rather than control panel!?
    : > Because WHS is designed to be configured via the Dashboard and if you don't you are in danger of screwing things up!!
    : >
    : >
    : > -- : > Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    :
    : I don't disagree but if WHS makes a change via the dashbaord, it should update it's O/S (i.e. the control panel or anywhere else) to reflect the changes it has made. It seems like a poor excuse to say that you can configure WHS via the dashboard bu no where else in the system, if that's the case then you loose all the power and benefit of having a windows server at your command which can do much more than share folders and media, but by what you saying, Microsoft wants us to buy WHS to do solely that and ignore the rest of the feature set in windows server 2008
    :
    Re:  ... Microsoft wants us to buy WHS to do solely that and ignore the rest of the feature set in windows server 2008.

Perhaps you need to read the WHS 2011 EULA.  You can find your answers there.

http://download.microsoft.com/Documents/UseTerms/Windows Home Server_2011_English_ea53c92f-7890-4c8c-b03a-d98770f17fd1.pdf

Paragraph 2g. of the above may be of particular interest.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

BullDawg
    Sunday, April 22, 2012 1:53 AM
  • I re-index and the file shows up but this still keeps happening every time I add a new file...

Do I have to do this every single time? Is there a permanent fix?

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 10:03 PM
  • Guys any help?
    Friday, April 27, 2012 12:53 PM
  • If you moved the dir using the move on the Server Folder and Hard Drives tab in the Dashboard you may need to wait overnight before the system recognizes the information and updates the index correctly. 

Night Owl

Monday, April 30, 2012 1:47 AM
  • Thanks Night Owl,

So far I have waited over a week and it still won't update the index

Monday, April 30, 2012 9:47 AM
  • Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get more support on this? The issue is still not resolved, is there a way to get Microsoft to investigate?
    Monday, May 7, 2012 9:05 AM
  • Not sure you can undue the damage by not using the dashboard.  You may have to reinstall WHS and then make all changes through the dashboard.  After a new install you may have to wait several hours before it shows up, but all should be okay after that.

Night Owl

Monday, May 7, 2012 6:10 PM
  • Just to clarify, I did apply all my changes through the dashboard. The only thing not done in dashboard was in control panel to turn on/off media sharing. Other users have done this too and not had issues (in fact it is one of the supposed fixes for this issue which doesn't work for me). But I will try a re-install seeing that there are no other options, although I should note that this was a fresh install to begin with, it's never updated the index for me.

Will see how I can go

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 10:20 AM
  • Had a breakthrough today!

I noticed that it seems to not index files if they are downloaded via torrent. I have tested this with both utorrent and bittorrent. If I download direct to the video folder the video does not get indexed BUT if I download to a local pc, then copy this over to the video folder it will get index striaght away...

I notice there is a bug for this in the old WHS but it should have been fixed in WHS2011, I tried to install the fix for it but it wont install on WHS2011.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946676

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sunday, May 13, 2012 4:10 AM
  • It may be that your (server-based?) torrent client is keeping the files open so it can serve them back up after they finish downloading. I could see that as a possible reason the files aren't being indexed.

The solution is to use your torrent client entirely on a client machine and copy the files to your server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, May 13, 2012 5:18 AM
  • after lots of testing the solution is to use a torrent client on the server, not on your machines that connect to it.

I was using my pc to download a torrent, the location for the torrent to be saved was on the server in the video directory. When i did this WHS would not update the media index

If I use a torrent client on the server and download direct to the video folder then WHS WILL update the index

If I download onto my pc and then copy to the WHS this also work but is annoying if you are alway copying large files across the network

So the unresolved issue is: Using another machine too download a torrent directly into the server directory DOES NOT update the indesx

Sunday, June 3, 2012 5:26 AM