HPC Powershell is not installed with HPC Pack 2012 R2 client utilites RRS feed

• Question

• I installed HPC Pack 2012 R2 client utilities which in previous version came with HPC Powershell.
    In this version is no where to be found.

If I try to add HPC snap-in manually there is this error and the .dll file really doesn't exist in the installation.

PS C:\Windows> Add-PSSnapIn Microsoft.HPC
    Add-PSSnapIn : Cannot load Windows PowerShell snap-in Microsoft.HPC because of
    the following error: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program
    Files\Microsoft HPC Pack 2012\Bin\CCPPSH.dll' or one of its dependencies. The
    system cannot find the file specified.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Add-PSSnapIn Microsoft.HPC
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (Microsoft.HPC:String) [Add-PSSnapi
       n], PSSnapInException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : AddPSSnapInRead,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.Ad
       dPSSnapinCommand

Monday, February 17, 2014 10:41 AM

Answers

• The HPC Pack Client Redistributable Utilities Setup (HpcClient_x64/x86.msi) only contains a trimmed down version of HPC Powershell cmdlets for job related usage.

The following manual steps are required for using these job related cmdlets:

#1 register component (the path of installutil.exe depends on your OS architecture)

e.g. C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\installutil.exe "C:\Program Files\Microsoft HPC Pack 2012\Bin\CCPPSH.Azure.dll"

#1.1 (optionally) verify that Microsoft.HPC is registered using Get-PSSnapin -Registered in an PSH window, you'll find one called "Microsoft.HPC"

#2.a  if Powershell version is larger than 3 (windows 8, server 2012), directly open a PSH window and add snap directly: Add-PSSnapIn Microsoft.HPC

#2.b  otherwise, you have to set the activation policy for Powershell, which runs against CLRv2, but our snapin requires CLRV4, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff361644.aspx for details

One possible solution is to save the following into a bat and run it:

set COMPLUS_ApplicationMigrationRuntimeActivationConfigPath=%CCP_HOME%\bin

%SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -NoExit -Command "Add-PSSnapIn Microsoft.HPC"

• Marked as answer by Vladimir Baros Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:27 AM
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 2:46 AM

All replies

• The HPC Pack Client Redistributable Utilities Setup (HpcClient_x64/x86.msi) only contains a trimmed down version of HPC Powershell cmdlets for job related usage.

The following manual steps are required for using these job related cmdlets:

#1 register component (the path of installutil.exe depends on your OS architecture)

e.g. C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\installutil.exe "C:\Program Files\Microsoft HPC Pack 2012\Bin\CCPPSH.Azure.dll"

#1.1 (optionally) verify that Microsoft.HPC is registered using Get-PSSnapin -Registered in an PSH window, you'll find one called "Microsoft.HPC"

#2.a  if Powershell version is larger than 3 (windows 8, server 2012), directly open a PSH window and add snap directly: Add-PSSnapIn Microsoft.HPC

#2.b  otherwise, you have to set the activation policy for Powershell, which runs against CLRv2, but our snapin requires CLRV4, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff361644.aspx for details

One possible solution is to save the following into a bat and run it:

set COMPLUS_ApplicationMigrationRuntimeActivationConfigPath=%CCP_HOME%\bin

%SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -NoExit -Command "Add-PSSnapIn Microsoft.HPC"

• Marked as answer by Vladimir Baros Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:27 AM
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 2:46 AM
  • Thanks.

This should be noted during installation. Previous users would expect it to work (with 2008 R2 it came together).
    The problem is that if you try to add the snap-in after the installation you would get the error, thinking something went wrong with the installation.

I my view either the following snap-in shouldn't be registered in the system at all with the missing components.
    Or there should be an error informing the user to to the following steps before using the cmdlets.

I solved my problem by installing the client components directly from HPC Pack which installed Job and Cluster manager along with HPC Powershell, like previous versions of client tools did (2008 R2).

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:37 AM