Xp Home re-activation failure RRS feed

• Question

• How do I get past this problem? After replacing the HD and MB on my old Presario

I get to the Login prompt and when I click on it I get the message that I need to activate the OS. I click on Yes activate now and I get the message This copy is already activated you do not need to activate. the only option is OK. Click on Ok and it takes me back to the login screen. A tight little catch-22 circle.

Nick 

Thursday, April 5, 2007 1:56 AM

Answers

• NickS,

Could be that essential system files were corrupted when the connection was lost during activation.  Your best bet is to try a repair reinstallation:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

If that does not work, a clean installation will be necessary, as there is no way to conduct activation from the Recovery Console.

Saturday, April 7, 2007 2:39 PM

All replies

• NickS,

Could you explain the reason for the motherboard change?  Replacing a defective or upgrading for better performance?

Also, did XP Home come preinstalled from Compaq on the Presario?

Friday, April 6, 2007 1:41 AM
  •  

The Motherboard failed due to an electrical storm.. I could no longer get the original board so I found a very close alternative.  I used the OS cd from the manuf. and used the COA  from the side of the PC.  The internet link failed while I was in the process of activation but now it is in the never ending "its not activated" "it is already activated" loop.

I hate to have to reinstall the OS and all my other files all over again. 

I tried booting from the CD and using REPAIR but I cannot execute any thing once I get to the Command prompt 'cause of the limited command set. 

Is there a way to force activation when you cannot even login to the Windows environment?

Nick

Saturday, April 7, 2007 3:50 AM
  • NickS,

Could be that essential system files were corrupted when the connection was lost during activation.  Your best bet is to try a repair reinstallation:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

If that does not work, a clean installation will be necessary, as there is no way to conduct activation from the Recovery Console.

Saturday, April 7, 2007 2:39 PM
  • Thank you.. I did the repair installation and it got me to a point where I could select a phone number to call for a new activation.

thank you again fpr your time.

Nick

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 2:53 AM
  • NickS,

You're welcome!

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 10:20 PM