locked
Why no windows updates RRS feed

  • General discussion

  • Seems strange that microsoft are pumping out monthly update for vista etc


    but since PP1 have we had any updates at all


    i certainley cannot memtion any ?
    Friday, November 7, 2008 12:53 PM

All replies

  • Yes, we had the normal Windows Server updates and one Windows Home Server update since PP1.
    Maybe they have automatically been installed, and the server rebooted according to the default settings?

    If not, you can login locally or via Remote Desktop Client and run Microsoft Update manually from within Internet Explorer.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, November 7, 2008 1:17 PM
    Moderator
  • Please use the Windows Home Server Console to download and install updates. It will detect and install any updates that your server requires, and it is possible (through Microsoft Update/Windows Update) to download and install optional updates that will cause problems on your server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 7, 2008 3:20 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi Ken,
    I installed a lot of updates via Microsoft Update in the past manually via IE on my WHS and never found any related problems from them. (but of course may only have been good luck.)
    But I think, it will be better visible, if there are still missing updates, just in case something fails.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, November 7, 2008 3:32 PM
    Moderator
  • AMCross said:

    Seems strange that microsoft are pumping out monthly update for vista etc


    but since PP1 have we had any updates at all


    i certainley cannot memtion any ?


    A Windows Update package for Windows Home Server went out in October.

    Thank you

    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Friday, November 7, 2008 7:18 PM
    Moderator
  • Olaf Engelke said:

    Hi Ken,
    I installed a lot of updates via Microsoft Update in the past manually via IE on my WHS and never found any related problems from them. (but of course may only have been good luck.)
    But I think, it will be better visible, if there are still missing updates, just in case something fails.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf


    Personally, I use MS Update through IE7 every month (although, as Ken says, you should skip the Software, Optional updates because some users have had problems in the past).  The reasons I do that is because A) I can see if there are any Hardware, Optional updates and B) I can see if there are any critical updates for any software besides Windows.  (The Console only runs Windows Updates, not all MS Updates).  A perfect example of this being necessary is the MyMovies for WHS add-in.  It automatically installs SQL Server 2005 Express.  However, checking for updates for it through the Console won't show you any updates for SQL Server 2005 (which there are).
    Friday, November 7, 2008 7:32 PM
    Moderator
  • Lara Jones said:

    A Windows Update package for Windows Home Server went out in October.



    Laura,

    Where on the net can I sign up for an email alert advising that an update package for whs has been hatched out?

    Excuse the newbie question :-)

    Paul
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 1:15 AM
  • If you configure your server to accept updates automatically you will receive them when they are released. Otherwise you can check the Windows Home Server Solution Center from time to time to see what's new.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 3:14 AM
    Moderator
  • You should be careful applying hardware updates to your server. Those are mostly driver updates, including NIC drivers. If you apply a NIC driver in a Remote Desktop session, you may lose contact with your server and be unable to regain control without a locally connected keyboard, video, and mouse. This would effectively "brick" an HP MediaSmart Server, for example.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 3:18 AM
    Moderator
  • Ken Warren said:

    You should be careful applying hardware updates to your server. Those are mostly driver updates, including NIC drivers. If you apply a NIC driver in a Remote Desktop session, you may lose contact with your server and be unable to regain control without a locally connected keyboard, video, and mouse. This would effectively "brick" an HP MediaSmart Server, for example.


    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)



    I like to keep up with the latest MS-approved driver updates (in my case, the driver updates are usually for my SATA controller card).  However, you make a good point regarding the HP MSS.  (But since I use OEM, I'm not too concerned about it.  ;)  )
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 3:53 AM
    Moderator