none
D-Link VIOP gateway DVG-1120M (AT&T CallVantage) blocking remote access to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• My DVG-1120M VoIP gateway from D-Link (used by AT&T's CallVantage) is blocking my remote access.  I'm not sure what the technical reason is, but I do know that when I take it out of the equation, all works fine.

Has anyone seen this....or have any suggestions.  (other than change VoIP providers.  Smile  )

Thanks

T

Monday, January 28, 2008 11:31 PM

Answers

• Your VOIP gateway is probably in between your internet connection and your router:

DSL modem -> VOIP gateway -> router -> the rest of your network.

If you connect it to a port on your router instead, you shouldn't have a problem:

DSL modem -> router -> the rest of your network, including your VOIP gateway.

What you lose by changing your network configuration in this way is the Quality of Service rules that your VOIP gateway uses to prioritize VOIP traffic above other internet traffic.
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 2:44 AM
  • You can move the VOIP as Ken says, but you may get degraded call quality.  One other solution is to take the VOIP gateway and DMZ to the WAN IP of the router behind it.  Keep in mind that if you do this, it's best to set the WAN IP of the router to a static LAN IP on the VOIP router, or else it could all break in the future with a WAN IP change on the router (power outage, etc can cause this)

So, to recap, there are 2 solutions:

1) move the VOIP router BEHIND all the other routers....Rarely is a config change needed to the VOIP router to do this

OR

2) set the DMZ of the VOIP router to point to the WAN IP of the second router in the chain.  This "second router" is often the router you had in place BEFORE you added the VOIP

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:10 PM

All replies

• Your VOIP gateway is probably in between your internet connection and your router:

DSL modem -> VOIP gateway -> router -> the rest of your network.

If you connect it to a port on your router instead, you shouldn't have a problem:

DSL modem -> router -> the rest of your network, including your VOIP gateway.

What you lose by changing your network configuration in this way is the Quality of Service rules that your VOIP gateway uses to prioritize VOIP traffic above other internet traffic.
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 2:44 AM
  • You can move the VOIP as Ken says, but you may get degraded call quality.  One other solution is to take the VOIP gateway and DMZ to the WAN IP of the router behind it.  Keep in mind that if you do this, it's best to set the WAN IP of the router to a static LAN IP on the VOIP router, or else it could all break in the future with a WAN IP change on the router (power outage, etc can cause this)

So, to recap, there are 2 solutions:

1) move the VOIP router BEHIND all the other routers....Rarely is a config change needed to the VOIP router to do this

OR

2) set the DMZ of the VOIP router to point to the WAN IP of the second router in the chain.  This "second router" is often the router you had in place BEFORE you added the VOIP

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:10 PM
  •  

Thanks Guys;

While comcast says the gateway needs to be outside the router, moving it inside is working fine.

Cheers

T

Thursday, January 31, 2008 6:40 PM