Tasks do not run with job submit RRS feed

• Question

• We want to run a program on the HPC from command line, ex: D:\Ansoft\HFSS12\hfss.exe -ng  -monitor -batchsolve J:\hfss\Project1.hfss
    D: is a local HDD on each node, J: is shared network storage.
    If I remote desktop into a compute node and run that command line, it runs fine.  However, if I try to submit a job with the sole task being running that command, it fails with exit code 0.  If I try using the "Run Command" tool it fails with exit code 1.
    I can happily run silly commands like "ver" or "ipconfig" from the head node, either as a job or as a "run command".  However, those won't work if submitted as a job or as a "run command" from a client computer (exit code 0).

There is no network connectivity between the client computers and individual compute nodes.  Only the head node can access the compute nodes and the client computers.

I have no idea where to go with this.
    Monday, February 8, 2010 9:16 PM

Answers

• Hello
    How are you mapping the J: drive prior to running the job? Try using the UNC path of the network share rather than the drive mapping.
    If you're running this from the command line on a client machine try something like:

job submit /scheduler:<schedulername> /workdir:<fullUNCpathtohfssfolder> D:\Ansoft\HFSS12\hfss.exe -ng  -monitor -batchsolve project1.hfss

This will mean that output files are also written to the hfss folder.
    Dan
    • Marked as answer by elansey Tuesday, February 9, 2010 7:00 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 9:25 AM

All replies

• Hello
    How are you mapping the J: drive prior to running the job? Try using the UNC path of the network share rather than the drive mapping.
    If you're running this from the command line on a client machine try something like:

job submit /scheduler:<schedulername> /workdir:<fullUNCpathtohfssfolder> D:\Ansoft\HFSS12\hfss.exe -ng  -monitor -batchsolve project1.hfss

This will mean that output files are also written to the hfss folder.
    Dan
    • Marked as answer by elansey Tuesday, February 9, 2010 7:00 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 9:25 AM
  • Yup, that was it. Weird.
    Thanks!
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 7:00 PM