Unable to connect to WHS2011 while installing connector software on windows 7 home PC RRS feed

• Question

• I just set up my WHS2011 box. I am trying to connect my Win7 Ultimate 64-bit PC and I get the message "Cannot connect the computer to the server because either another software installation is in progress or the computer has a restart pending". I restarted both the server and my PC and still the same issue.

I disabled firewall on my home PC and still, no go. I have been able to connect another PC on the same home network just fine. So I am not sure what may be going on. Any clues?

I don't have \" in my server password, my home PC name is not more than 15 characters, and in general I have gone through the basic troubleshooting provided on the link in that error message.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 4:09 AM

Answers

All replies

• Just a generic comment.

I noticed that you are having multiple issues with your server in various threads.

If your data is away somwhere safe it is probably worth considering reloading. Given the multiple problems it would seem something has gone awry with the install.

Not much help I know, but worth considering.

Is the hardware you are using definetly good ?.

If you search the Beta forum http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whsvailbeta/threads there are several threads covering the "Cannot connect the computer to the server because either another software installation is in progress or the computer has a restart pending". May give you some further help or clue's as to your issue.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 4:44 AM
  • Just a generic comment.

I noticed that you are having multiple issues with your server in various threads.

If your data is away somwhere safe it is probably worth considering reloading. Given the multiple problems it would seem something has gone awry with the install.

Not much help I know, but worth considering.

Is the hardware you are using definetly good ?.

If you search the Beta forum http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whsvailbeta/threads there are several threads covering the "Cannot connect the computer to the server because either another software installation is in progress or the computer has a restart pending". May give you some further help or clue's as to your issue.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home

I agree with frogz1.  You might want to start over if at all possible (and, in case you installed any apps after installing your current WHS 2011 install, don't do it next time and see if it helps).
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 4:59 AM
  • Hesitant to reinstall ... my data is about 700GB, so offloading would be a pain :-(

However, this helped resolve this particular issue :-)

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsvailbeta/thread/a90b4679-d2dc-4820-94f0-dce22da245a4

• Marked as answer by RPMM Thursday, June 9, 2011 5:04 AM
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 5:03 AM
  • Sorry for the interruption - I did not find a "pending" file rename entry.  Any ideas to resolve this would be greatly appreciated. 
    Monday, June 13, 2011 10:44 PM
  • Anyone keeping track of all the little bugs ?

On this one MS support remotely went into the register of the local machine and removed an entry , but zilch. Since 2 weeks dealing with this has be at the point of experimentaion come what may, I shut down all my PCs and my server the router and the modem even.

About an hour later I came back and only one box was throwing this. All boxes showed on my intranet as per router table so I knew that was okey..

On the guilty machine I went physcho with DOS. IPCONFIG up the yin yan /release. renew / flushdns / registerdns. EVERY possible switch I used in all its flavors. Once I verified all the machines were on the network I rebooted the one with the pending install and that had gone away. NOW... which one did it ? I lean to /renew and flushdns. WHS.. went way overkill as far as what it wants to do for you but unfortunately 90% of his auto ANYTHING bombs.

Monday, December 26, 2011 9:42 PM