Windows 10 upgrade -- must Run as Administrator RRS feed

• Question

• It seems that with the upgrade on this computer to Windows 10, I must run Money as Administrator in order to be able to access the program. Of interest, the same seems to apply to Gaier's scripts for updating stock quotes and importing a csv file.

This did not occur on the first machine I updated to W10, which had the same .mny file.

Oh, and I am running Sunset and have been almost since it became available, and with the .dll patch

Initially, MSMONEY reported that it could not locate the file. 

I checked the permissions and noted that the .mny file did not have me in the HomeUsers group authorized (it did for me in the admin group).  I enabled those permissions, and then Money reported that my password was incorrect.

Uninstalling and reinstalling (and re-patching) the Sunset edition did not help.

However, running Money as an administrator does seem to work.  And, unlike with some previous versions, I have to do this all the time.

Any insights as to the problem would be appreciated, as I would like to avoid the extra step involved when doing this.

Thanks.

-- Ron

Ron

Sunday, September 13, 2015 12:44 PM

Answers

• There are intermittent reports of the same problem with other programs. I had it myself with Lightroom, but that appeared to clear up after a Windows Update.

The real solution is a clean install of Windows 10, which you can do with media created from Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (provided your upgrade installation is activated). Select Skip and "Do this later" when prompted for product keys during installation. You will need to back up your files and settings before a clean install and reinstall all your programs afterwards.

Windows version upgrades bring forward registry clutter and damage. These can cause various problems. Sometimes, failing hardware can cause problems with the upgrade and previously replaced hardware can leave a residue of problems which only become fully apparent after an OS upgrade.

• Marked as answer by Ron Rosenfeld Monday, September 14, 2015 10:50 AM
    Monday, September 14, 2015 8:15 AM

All replies

• There are intermittent reports of the same problem with other programs. I had it myself with Lightroom, but that appeared to clear up after a Windows Update.

The real solution is a clean install of Windows 10, which you can do with media created from Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (provided your upgrade installation is activated). Select Skip and "Do this later" when prompted for product keys during installation. You will need to back up your files and settings before a clean install and reinstall all your programs afterwards.

Windows version upgrades bring forward registry clutter and damage. These can cause various problems. Sometimes, failing hardware can cause problems with the upgrade and previously replaced hardware can leave a residue of problems which only become fully apparent after an OS upgrade.

• Marked as answer by Ron Rosenfeld Monday, September 14, 2015 10:50 AM
    Monday, September 14, 2015 8:15 AM
  • I wound up doing a Windows 10 "reset" and preserving my files. (I figured I would try that first as I am on a slow internet connection, and the file is about 3GB. 

After re-installing MSMoney, I got the IE6 required message.  But that went away after doing the pending W10 updates.  And I no longer have to run MSMoney as an administrator.  So all is good with this relatively clean W10 install.

Thanks.

Ron

Monday, September 14, 2015 11:50 AM
  • So there is a "reset" method and there is a "clean install" method? It sounds like a "reset" could be less invasive than the "clean install."

What is the procedure for the reset? My wife's computer requires almost everything in Admin mode. Some things give her a choice, but it does not even allow her to try Admin mode on some things. For example, Control Panel does nothing, and Settings flashes a window for less than half a second. Fortunately I also have an admin log-on, and my profile lets me get to Control Panel.

Thursday, April 7, 2016 5:28 AM
  • Thursday, April 7, 2016 7:32 AM