none
Upgrading from Windows 7 Enterprise to Windows 7 Ultimate RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to Upgrade from Windows 7 Enterprise to Windows 7 Ultimate but I am not able to i keep getting an error message. Is this possible? Thanks!
    Monday, February 7, 2011 7:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, February 8, 2011 1:41 AM
    Monday, February 7, 2011 7:53 PM
    Answerer
  • While this question is off-topic for this forum (The Windows 7 Answers Forums would have been a better place http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7 ) and while I don't think it is the "Official Microsoft" way to do it, the link that Cbarnhorst posted does appear to work.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 1:41 AM
  • Darin,

I would like the link to the official answer for future use (if you have it conveniently at hand).  The question does come up in the Answers forums.

Colin Barnhorst
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 1:45 AM
    Answerer
  • Darin,

I would like the link to the official answer for future use (if you have it conveniently at hand).  The question does come up in the Answers forums.

Colin Barnhorst

Colin, the best I could find is here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772579(WS.10).aspx  You will have to log in to gain access.

Of course Enterprise is a volume licensed version of Windows while Ultimate is a retail version.  There has never been a path to take a Volume licensed version to a retail version through an upgrade. It normally works the other way.  Someone buys a computer with a retail product installed and then installs the volume licensed version through their corporate agreement.
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 1:56 AM
  • Darin,

Colin Barnhorst

Actually, I was trying (poorly) to be diplomatic.  I'm pretty sure the Official Microsoft Supported way would amount to doing a full install of Ultimate over the Enterprise. This, of course, would overwrite the Enterprise completely and my assumption was that the Original Poster wanted a way to do it without losing any data and/or having to reinstall all his applications.

Long story short, your answer better fulfills the Original Poster's needs, I just had to mention that it wasn't the Microsoft Supported way.

Darin MS
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 1:03 AM
  • Gotcha.
    Colin Barnhorst
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 1:04 AM
    Answerer