No MSDN Availability? You've Got to Be Kidding Me! RRS feed

• Question

• I read this morning that as a MSDN subscriber I am out of luck; Microsoft wants me to shell out hundreds of more dollars for this despite the fact I'm already paying over $2,500 PER YEAR for my MSDN license with the initial cost of the license being over $8,000.  Considering I've been with the program for 5 years now, that adds up to a little over $18,000 I've paid to Microsoft for the priviledge of developing and testing.

HOW MUCH MORE MONEY DOES MICROSOFT WANT?

I bought MSDN to have access to the operating systems and other software for development.  Now I'm being told "Too bad, so sad, open up your wallet and pay some more".  This is ridiculous.  No wonder people are screaming open-source so loud nowadays.  You can only squeeze people so much before they say enough is enough. 

I was all onboard with doing some development work on WHS, but this was the last straw.  I'm one person and don't have the money to continually pay for more and more development licenses when I already paid for it once. 

Fuming in Missouri,

Robert

Monday, July 23, 2007 3:53 PM

All replies

• (moved to Suggestions forum)

I pretty much agree that at least some levels of MSDN subscribers should have access to WHS. Microsoft has announced that there will be a time-limited "demo" version available; I wouldn't be too surprised if MSDN availability happens when that version is made available in a few months, even though today Microsoft is saying "No MSDN at all."
    Monday, July 23, 2007 4:25 PM
  • Ken -

Then explain to me the following statement from the MSDN Subscription Highlights page:

Subscription Highlights
    • Latest Microsoft Operating Systems
    • Broad range of the latest Microsoft Windows Server System products
    • Microsoft productivity applications
    • Technical support
    • Continuously updated technical content
    • SQL Server and SQL Server Reporting Services
    • Unlimited use of MSDN Managed Newsgroups
    • Free access to MSDN Online Concierge
    • Over 1,800 royalty-free code samples
    • Sample applications
    • Technical product documentation and articles

I guess "Latest Microsoft Operating Systems" is a bait-and-switch tactic.  I am not paying for a 120-day demo that ANYONE can download for free!  Nor am I going to wait a few months so those who pay more money get access first, and the rest of us who already paid have to "wait". 

I'm fuming over this, as it was a slap in face considering I just sent in my renewal for MSDN two weeks ago.

Monday, July 23, 2007 4:33 PM
  •  dmxrob wrote:

Ken -

Then explain to me the following statement from the MSDN Subscription Highlights page:

Subscription Highlights
    • Latest Microsoft Operating Systems
    • Broad range of the latest Microsoft Windows Server System products

Allow me.
    First, it doesn't say ALL of the latest MS Operating systems.
    Second, it says a "broad range" of MS server system products, again, not all.

There's nothing there that grants you the right to *everything* they produce.

Hope that helps...

Monday, July 23, 2007 5:31 PM
  • I could care less what spin Microsoft wants to put on this.  MSDN subscribers have always received all the OS's until now.  It's another money-making scheme on Microsoft's part and I'm fed up with it and the tactics they use. 

And they wonder why they have such a bad reputation in the IT community nowadays....

Monday, July 23, 2007 6:37 PM
  •  dmxrob wrote:

I could care less what spin Microsoft wants to put on this.  MSDN subscribers have always received all the OS's until now.  It's another money-making scheme on Microsoft's part and I'm fed up with it and the tactics they use. 

And they wonder why they have such a bad reputation in the IT community nowadays....

Good luck with that...

Monday, July 23, 2007 6:47 PM