WHS Crashes due to bad mobo - Migrate to new system - recover old data RRS feed

• Question

• WHS became totally corrupt due to failing mobo/cpu.  Necessitated migrating system to another machine.  Before I tried reinstall and was given reinstall option but it failed, probably due to hardware.  So I moved all hard drives to a different environment BUT the reinstalled primary partition, (it did complete but kept failing on the bad hardware), will not boot to the new configuration.

So I figured to reinstall WHS but there is no option to reinstall on the new hardware - it wants to wipe all drives.  I've seen where I can reinstall with storage drives turned off and then go through what likes like a very tedious process to recapture my data.  PLUS - what happens to the data that was stored on the second partition of my opsys drive - I think it will probably format that too.  Was anything important stored there?

This seems a criticism of the "magic" factor - how WHS stores files with hidden folders and keys and whatever.  A predictable system failure leaves me twisting in the wind.  Why wasn't there a backup of the WHS opsys that I could restore - probably would have failed anyway on different hardware.

Any thoughts on this?

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 12:08 PM

All replies

• I would disagree that a failing motherboard is a "predictable system failure"; almost all computers (desktop, laptop, or server) are retired because of hard drive issues and/or plain obsolescence. Also, consider that Windows Home Server is intended to be sold via an OEM or system builder, as part of a hardware/software bundle. Presumably a purchaser will get some technical support, including system repair/replacement if within the warranty period.

In your current situation, I would start by formatting the system partition on your current system drive, to see if that will allow a recovery (instead of new installation which will, as you note, format everything that setup sees). If that doesn't work, I would recommend starting with a brand new system drive, then going through the recovery procedure you've referred to as "tedious". (Good word, that. :) ) There may be data on the system drive as well, in the same location as data on other drives: <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc..

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 1:25 PM
  • Good to know you're still here.  It's been a while since I've needed help.

I'm able to get the reinstalled opsys to boot in safe mode and am looking to capture drivers and see if it will come back in normal.  If i boot normal it hangs which I hope is a result of missing drivers - we'll see.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 3:57 PM
  • Good to know you're still here. ...

Haven't gone anywhere. :)

If you can boot in safe mode, but not normally, you might want to take a look at chipset drivers, etc. It's been a long time since I needed to sort out that type of issue, but they can be quite frustrating, and I usually wound up starting from scratch eventually...

I still like the "delete the system partition and try again" approach, though I will note that due to the way Windows Home Server manages disks it's possible your reinstallation "broke" the connection between your system disk and your storage pool. (Or you could break that connection yourself if you were to reinstall without supplying drivers that your system needs for access to the storage pool, e.g. if you have an IDE system disk, but SATA/AHCI storage pool disks.) If that's the case, the "tedious" approach is the only way to go; there's usually no way to reintegrate the storage pool with the reinstalled server "after the fact".

A final consideration: Time. How much time do you want to spend on trying to sort this out? Usually, there's a point where you don't wnat to take more time to try to fix the current problem, you want to tear it down and pave it over. And that point usually comes much earlier in the problem solving process than you would believe, unless you want to solve the problem for the satisfaction of solving it, and don't care about the time.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 4:51 PM
  • hi guys!!

i am having great difficulty  finding the correct info i need on what to do about my home server crash ( i am pulling out my hair ), i am pretty sure the system hardware is dead. i am almost positive that it over heated, it gives long beep, possibly even the c:\ and several of the other drives have crashed. I've tried to replace some of the hardware to solve this issue with no luck at all. i have replace the graphics card ( 8800gtx ;)   ) the CPU, the Ram, this leads me to think its either the mobo or the main system drive or both

What i want to do is build a new system with a all new bits, a new system drive with a NEW install then migrate my storage pool off the broken server, could you tell me if this is possible at all, and if you could point me in the direction of that "tedious" recovery process that you speak of. i would love to give it a try.

this is one of the only posts i have been able to find that offers some hope, of moving my 12tb 90% full storage pool in to a new system and recovering as much of it as possible.

* can i recover the data on a non WHS system in any way? win7, Linux, mac ( lol mac )

* Zero of the drives are Duplicated, i know this will make recovering some of the data impossible if any of those drives are damaged, you can never get enough space i had them duplicated, but then i ran out of space

=======-----------========

system config:     ( This may be excessive, but its all my old stuff, from my old gaming box, i don't need it any more i upgraded )

Q6600 2.4ghz quad core     ( this is dead, replaced it with a 2.6 dual core, still no luck )

N680sli- DQ6 rev 1.0          ( not sure how to replace this as its a mobo with 10 sata ports onboard, not to many on the market, and there costly )

1 x 8800gtx                       ( didn't install both in WHS, as i don't know if WHS is Sli compatable, lol. the GPX still works as i have tested it in other systems )

4gb ddr2 800                     (1gig sticks OCZ )

Antec 4U22ATX Case         ( these are amazing as a 4U allows you to use standard everyday computer parts and large graphics cards )

thermaltake 750watt PSU modular

12 x 1tb sata drives           ( one of these drives makes that scary ticking clicking sound, we all know what that means )

1 x 500gig WHS system drive

4port sata raid card           ( i can only get three of the ports to work, it could be a driver thing, who knows )

0 x dvd burner                  ( there in other systems i took it out once i installed it, to make room for another hard drive )

I need more info before i go to town pulling the thing further apart, its taken a little while to collect the data and some is irreplaceable. i would hate to destroy some or all of it, because i was uncertain of how it all works, this is the first time its Broken at all, i find if left alone it is very Stable. i was using just normal windows to do this, but some of the advantages of the storage pool drew me to venture in to the server world, i chose not to jump in the deep end with a full blown server system. As i would prob have to go do a coarse, just to get some idea of what i am doing, WHS is perfect for what i needed, almost plug and play

I can't seem to find proper guides or posts on people trying what i am, nothing to my satisfaction, everything i come across, contains recovery disks and stuff like that. i don't get any picture at all, it doesn't even boot up, i don't want to waste any more time trying to fix that system, it would put my mind at ease if i could just move the data pool and recover the data, no matter how long it takes to recover it.

Thank you for your time...

Saturday, February 12, 2011 1:13 PM
  • hi again,

i have managed to find this post with what looks like the answer to my problem, but it does look a little like gibberish

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f

ok so after reading this, i am going to try this, it doesn't say in plain English if it works, but i think it may, it looks like the process is written as if it being done on a second WHS machine, which is i think where i get lost, as that's info i don't need, to do what i wish.

----------------------

++++++

QUOTE BELOW  from above link (  http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f )

++++++

If a server reinstall fails , is not offered  or is not possible due to severely broken hardware or the configuration cannot be reused due to a replacement of main hardware components, and you don't have a recent backup on another disk or location, you need to copy the data manually to a new location .

To do this:

• Attach the disks one by one to a Windows PC either via internal ports or using an adaptor cable USB to SATA/IDE. This PC can be one of the clients, or a fresh installed Windows Home Server. Do not add this disk to the storage pool, before you have copied all data to the server share or external storage. The already configured storage pool devices must offer enough free space to handle the data from the disk besides old client backups (which will be lost in such a recovery scenario).
    • In Control Panel of that PC open Folder Options .
    • On the View tab select Show hidden files and folders .
    • Click OK .
    • In Windows Explorer look for the DATA volume on the former Windows Home Server disk (including the D: drive of the former primary disk), which will usually have gotten a drive letter in the system. After opening this volume in Explorer you should see the hidden folder DE . (Be aware, that in configurations with multiple disks in the server this folder may not exist on each disk or be empty.)
    • Within the folder DE you should find a subfolder shares .
    • This contains parts or all (or none) of the data in the former shared folders or duplicates of this data (if Folder Duplication was selected).
    • Copy this data either to the new server installation by accessing the server shares through the desktop shortcut Shared Folders on server or to another storage location. Do never target the file system of drives belonging to Windows Home Server directly (i.e. d:\shares)!
    • Repeat this for each DATA disk.

Do not forget to check the consistency of data (can files still be opened, are they the most current version) before reusing the disks in the storage pool.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

--------------------------------

This POST suggests there is a way to simply copy the data from the data pool on to a regular windows machine, one drive at a time, then copy it on to the New WHS machine

Thank you all for your time

I'll give this a Burl and let you all know how it goes and i'll write up a quick (dummies) Guide, just for us noobs, as i said in my last post, i turned WHS on about a year ago, and just filled it up and i haven't had a problem since, until summer time

P.S. Thanks once again, please feel free to add to anything i have asked and so forth, if it is possible to just Build a new system and recover a large percentage of your data, this info needs to be easily accessible to all, in the plainest of English ( a guide for recovery by building a new system cos you broke your old one )

Saturday, February 12, 2011 1:42 PM