RTHDCPL.EXE Error (Following Latest MS Updates) RRS feed

• Question

• I have just done the latest MS Updates (KB925902 & KB932557) and upon restart receive the following message:

RTHDCPL.EXE-illegal System DLL-Relocation

The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocaton occurred becaise the DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\HHCTRL.OCX occupied an address range reserved for Windows system DLLs. the vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL

(OS- XP Pro sp2) (Acer 6463wlmi)

I've restored which gets me back to a good system. What do I need to do to keep my MS system up to date.. but without issue. I know someone else who also has got the same error following the updates so the issue is more widespread that my own system.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Regards

Thursday, April 5, 2007 8:32 AM

All replies

• www://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448

Just been sent this link to a fix.

Thursday, April 5, 2007 9:07 AM
  • I am also experiencing similar problem with RTHDCPL.EXE error. And I have tired opening the above mentioned link, but unable to. Pls tell me anyother way out?
    Saturday, April 7, 2007 12:19 AM
  • I changed the www:// to http:// then installed the hotfix.  No problems since.  thanks.

Saturday, April 7, 2007 9:57 PM
  •   I had this message and found a fix that worked for me.

Go to the microsoft download site and use KB927891 to download a fix.

Sunday, April 8, 2007 9:28 AM
  • I don't understand why microsoft sends out a critical update that has to be 'fixed'.  Typical!! 

Can this company do anything right?!?

Sunday, April 8, 2007 11:55 PM
  • I agree.  However, I am 'happy' that MS was able to get one out within a day of putting out the patch.  What that tells me is that the patch had to meet the deploy deadline, and they knew there were still a few things to work out.  I guess the security nature of the patch trumped the 2 or 3 items they knew were still being worked on.  No matter, I'll take the overall security fix over a minor issue with my sound (btw, I could restart my sound drivers and they would work ok; was a pain, but worked).

I'm not a MS fan, but I do use Windows for my game machine, and dual boot my college laptop with it.  The other two computers both use Ubuntu Linux, and they also have their issues with patches.  I'm not partial to either OS as each has its place depending on the use.  I will say that MS has gotten (IMO) MUCH better at getting updates and hot fixes out in a timely manner over the past few years.  I also think their customer support has gotten much better.  Not sure if its related to the all the anti-piracy checks they now have in their software (read:  don't have to spend tons of man-hours writing worthless hacks to prevent ActiveX downloads of their patches), but whatever they have done, I think it has truly gotten better. 
    Monday, April 9, 2007 5:07 AM
  • I cant thank you enough for this....this error has been driving me nuts for days now....im surprised microsoft has'nt yet deployed this hotfix as an update.

Cheers anywayWink

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 1:41 AM
  •  Si H wrote:

www://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448

Just been sent this link to a fix.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 3:40 AM
  • Assist me how to fix the above.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 6:36 AM
  • I downloaded the fix for the rthdcpl.exe problem.  But since this problem stareted and after I downloaded the fix, my computer freezes up to the point that I have to keep restarting it.  I was able to open task manager and when the computer freezes I see that 100% of the CPU is being used.  It stays like this for quite a while and if I leave it alone, the computer suddenly starts working again (goes down to 3%-20 or 30% CPU usage) and it works fine for as long as I want to use it.  Does anyone know if this is related to the rthdcpl.exe problem?  It seems to be since the freezes started at the same time.
    Friday, April 13, 2007 4:35 PM
  • We too seem to have issues still even though the first issue was resolved.

As you say we also have periods where the machine hangs... boot ups have become very lenghty and we have had a couple of blue screens of death which causes restarts. The message always refers to drivers failing but does not give any more information when you link to MS for the cause.

Monday, April 16, 2007 7:09 AM
  • HELP!  I downloaded the above fix also and since have had screen resolution problems.....streaks thru the task bar, colors aren't right, get some message when I turn off the puter which I've come to ignore.  I've tried fixing in the Display, Troubleshooting, etc.  Can anyone out there help me please????  I am NO computer wizard.  Thanks!
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 3:18 AM