WHS and Backup (again) RRS feed

• Question

•  

It seems to be a common issue about backing up the WHS system and I have seen that the installation DVD has a system rebuild option that will rebuild the server if the system drive fails. I note however that the resulting server will need  all of its users, shares etc recreated manually as all of that info is stored on the system drive that has been rebuilt/replaced

Why can't I use the Windows backup utility backup the system state including the security database and as that file should not be large send it to a flash drive. After a rebuild it should be a simple process to restore the system state and recover the user profiles

Sunday, September 2, 2007 9:45 PM

Answers

• You can't use the Windows Backup utility because it does not understand the way that WHS manages users, shares, etc.

Microsoft has said that using NTbackup, can break functionality.
    Sunday, September 2, 2007 9:57 PM

All replies

• You can't use the Windows Backup utility because it does not understand the way that WHS manages users, shares, etc.

Sunday, September 2, 2007 9:57 PM
  •  Tom Ziegmann wrote:
    You can't use the Windows Backup utility because it does not understand the way that WHS manages users, shares, etc.

What a about a cloning program such as True Image?
    Monday, September 3, 2007 4:19 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, imaging program like trueimage will work with some work, and I am sure, shortly, many imaging software will make a ver for WHS, and we all will be happy Smile

My best.
    Monday, September 3, 2007 4:33 PM
  • You know, I just saw something on a blog about someone that perfected a WHS OS backup and restore that worked off a thumb drive.....

I'll have to find it and post a link......

Here it is. He perfected a way to restore the OS to its set up state on a Tranquil T7-HSA server. Maybe it can be adapted to a system builder set up....

http://green-pcs.co.uk/2007/09/01/the-keys-to-success
    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 2:08 AM
  •  judgeschambers wrote:
    You know, I just saw something on a blog about someone that perfected a WHS OS backup and restore that worked off a thumb drive.....

I'll have to find it and post a link......

Here it is. He perfected a way to restore the OS to its set up state on a Tranquil T7-HSA server. Maybe it can be adapted to a system builder set up....

http://green-pcs.co.uk/2007/09/01/the-keys-to-success

We may see this soon, as it is a backup to WHS: Link

My best.
    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 2:19 AM