Is it possible to convert large/complex VBA Excel Form into exe / Win8 app? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a rather large/complex VBA (MS Excel) form for administering HP TRIM. Recently bought Surface Pro tablet & Win 8, and the question in short is: how can I "convert" / recode all that into the win8 App?

Thanks 

Friday, May 31, 2013 11:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Trimedms,

You're definitely in the wrong forum. Windows Store apps cannot do what you are looking for and cannot be built with Visual Studio 2012. From your description you are trying to write a desktop app (possibly WinForms?) of some sort, but it's not clear to me where your question is to direct you to the right forum. Is the problem interacting with designing the form? Interacting with Excel? Displaying the charts? Running the overall logic?

For Excel and Access developer questions please post in the appropriate Microsoft Office for Developers forums. For Microsoft's Charting controls see the Chart Controls for .NET Framework forum. For Crystal Reports' charts try SAP's Crystal Reports forum. For general VB.Net questions please post in the Visual Basic forum. For Windows Forms questions please post in the Windows Forms forums.

--Rob

Monday, June 3, 2013 1:38 AM
  • Hi Trimedms,

I think you are in the wrong forum. It sounds like you want to run your app on Windows 8, not to rewrite it as a Windows Store app.

Windows Store apps (the focus of this forum) are the same on Windows 8 and Windows RT. They do not use Excel or VBA, and they cannot interact with other apps to do most of the actions you say your app does. Your app cannot be converted or rewritten as a Windows Store app.

That said, your app should run in Excel on the Windows 8 desktop the same as it does on Windows 7. If you need help with that you should post in the Excel developer forums.

--Rob

Saturday, June 1, 2013 7:31 AM

All replies

• Seriously, this is a complete rewrite. WinRT is 100% different than VBA.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Saturday, June 1, 2013 2:26 AM
  • Thanks Matt, I believe that my Windows 8 is full version for Surface PRO, not RT version.....

Anyway, the VBA code is pretty simple:

An MS Excel sheet with a button to call a large form with grouped set of command buttons.

Some command buttons/pictures simply opens up new applications, network locations, internet or intranet website, start TRIM, remote assistance, DOS , Outlook etc.

Some buttons call another VBA Forms where users can input data into text field/check boxes, etc. that will be on OK saved into the spreadsheet. 

Also, there is an animation, rather swf flash video constantly running in top right corner of the main form.

That's about it.

One more question .... Once that this VBA is potentially made as Win 8 app, what tools I can use it to further modify the app? I wanted to sign up for Microsoft developer thing, they asking $50 ( I do not have credit card or) to download codes, or express Visual studio etc. to do this on my own...Any advice on this?

Thanks

Saturday, June 1, 2013 3:55 AM
  • Hi Trimedms,

I think you are in the wrong forum. It sounds like you want to run your app on Windows 8, not to rewrite it as a Windows Store app.

Windows Store apps (the focus of this forum) are the same on Windows 8 and Windows RT. They do not use Excel or VBA, and they cannot interact with other apps to do most of the actions you say your app does. Your app cannot be converted or rewritten as a Windows Store app.

That said, your app should run in Excel on the Windows 8 desktop the same as it does on Windows 7. If you need help with that you should post in the Excel developer forums.

--Rob

Saturday, June 1, 2013 7:31 AM
  • Rob/Matt,

Thanks again.

I am not giving up :-)

Ok, I downloaded Visual Studio Express 2010 and I've re-wrote 50% of the code. Meaning:

The main Administration form (now with menus and splash form) opens up (I actually made the EXE Application of this as well) properly, doing what I want the application to do.

Most likely I will manage to re-write the other functions and even add some more fancy forms/codes.

The question is:

What else needs to be done in order for me to have "Windows 8 / Windows store App " made. I have time till Wednesday night to finish this (it is now Sunday afternoon in Australia). Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks

Sunday, June 2, 2013 8:59 AM
  • Hi Trimedms, While Rob and Matt have explained VBA and Excel do not fit with Win Store App, which is correct and I agree, for Windows Store Apps you should be using Visual Studio 2012 on a Windows 8 machine.

-- Vishal Kaushik --

Please 'Mark as Answer' if my post answers your question and 'Vote as Helpful' if it helps you.

Happy Coding!!!

Sunday, June 2, 2013 1:06 PM
  • Guys,

I am using Visual Basic Express 2010 in two environments, Win 7 and also I replicate everything on Surface Pro Win 8 tablet.

VB 2010 Express looks like a good tool and I re-coded 60 % of my code/application. The application works fine so far with the features I've chosen.

The main issue for me here is to find a Visual Basic 2010 Express code that does the following:

- Creates / updates the Report daily/weekly ( MS Excel maybe/MS Access database?) based on the input from the VB forms in this big application. For example, most likely, an Excel workbook with 3-4 (different purposes) sheets that are updated respectively as certain input forms are filled out and user click OK.

For example, the administration section in one application form where certain text boxes needs to be filled in, acquired data from somewhere else, etc.  needs to record the input somewhere, e.g. MS Excel document/crystal report etc.

The maintenance section in the application form will do the same, filling in the different MS Excel sheet within the workbook. (User do not have to see anything of this happening, e.g. Excel sheets, it is all done in the background  when user clicks OK on the form, but user should be able to recall / preview the previous READ ONLY mode reports)

In short, that's it. (besides other tools and functions in the application that I covered already) .

Any ideas here, codes, templates?

Anyone has done something similar?

Thanks

Sunday, June 2, 2013 10:42 PM
  • Hi Trimedms,

You're definitely in the wrong forum. Windows Store apps cannot do what you are looking for and cannot be built with Visual Studio 2012. From your description you are trying to write a desktop app (possibly WinForms?) of some sort, but it's not clear to me where your question is to direct you to the right forum. Is the problem interacting with designing the form? Interacting with Excel? Displaying the charts? Running the overall logic?

For Excel and Access developer questions please post in the appropriate Microsoft Office for Developers forums. For Microsoft's Charting controls see the Chart Controls for .NET Framework forum. For Crystal Reports' charts try SAP's Crystal Reports forum. For general VB.Net questions please post in the Visual Basic forum. For Windows Forms questions please post in the Windows Forms forums.

--Rob

Monday, June 3, 2013 1:38 AM
  • Thanks guys,

if so many people are telling that I am wrong, it must be true :-)

So , two options for me now:

To continue to work in Visual Basic 2010 express and make the application working in Win 7 and potentially Win 8 tablet.

Or:

To ask you for the advice what tools do I need to actually create the Windows Store Application...

For now, I will at least try to finish the application in VB 2010 Express, (Although, I just started the "Report/Database part", and for now my buttons/text fields are not talking/updating tables into the SQL database in the project) and later, when this is all sorted out, I will actually try to re-create everything for the Windows Store app....

The intention is to have this App running on my Surface Pro tablet and/or Windows Phone later.

Regards

Monday, June 3, 2013 2:56 AM