HP Media Smart Server Shutting Down Automatically RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone,

I have a media smart server from HP.  It seems like the unit shuts down by itself.  Sometimes in the middle of the back and sometimes just randomly.  Is there a setting or something I am missing that causes the unit to shut down by itself?

I don't think it is overheating.  It is on the top of my desk with nothing around it for a couple of inches on all sides.

Thanks

Tony
    Sunday, April 27, 2008 1:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is there anything showing in the logs which might indicate something?

It's certainly not because of  'a setting',  so as this is a new unit, I would get in touch with HP unless someone else knows what it is.

Colin

Sunday, April 27, 2008 5:59 PM
  • Have you checked the event log on the server?  Perhaps there's a message there that will be useful.
    Sunday, April 27, 2008 7:42 PM
  • how do i look at the event log?  where is it located?  Thanks
    Sunday, April 27, 2008 11:23 PM
  • You can connect to it using Remote Desktop (use the administrator account to log in), then view the event logs in the usual way. (Note: You'll see a warning when you connect via Remote Desktop. Take it to heart; there are things that you could do, some seeming very safe, that could damage the functionality of your server. Viewing event logs is safe, however.)
    Monday, April 28, 2008 1:19 AM
  • I am just having the same problem after installing the Windows Search 4.0.  It was fine all along and now it it shutting down.  I can't see from the event log on why it is doing so.  Please help!
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 6:14 AM
  • I got nervous so I installed the 4.0 and installed the 3.01 for Windows Server 2003. 

It seems to shutdown when i RDP into and log off.  Give it less than 5 minutes, then shutdown.

One thing to mentioned is that the Server is balancing too.

Let's see how the 3.01 install works.
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 6:22 AM
  • That did the trick for me.  My server stopped shutting down automatically. 

So the install of the 3.01 Windows Desktop search fixed the problem for me.
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 6:59 AM
  • Where did you find the 3.01 version for Home Server? I can only find the Windows Server 2003 version and it won't install. I'm having the same problem.

Monday, June 9, 2008 8:35 PM
  • I got the regular 3.01 not just for the W2003 server
    Monday, July 21, 2008 6:21 AM