WHS Console won't start RRS feed

• Question

• Got a strange issue.

• WHS Console will not start on the client machines but it will start on the WHS machine, tells me the server can not be found
    • Re-installed the Console from the server (so it can find it as that moment).
    • All shares work fine
    • All backups are still done automatically, no problems.

No I have been twiddling with services so I assume I wrecked it that way, but does anybody have any idea what services could prevent this to work?

Mathijs Kok

mathijs
    Monday, July 20, 2009 12:05 PM

Answers

silly enough to experiment with the services there.
    The most reliable solution is going to be server reinstallation. May I ask why you were "twiddling" with services on your server? It's unsupported, and a great way to break the server. Was there something specific you were trying to accomplish?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 20, 2009 3:44 PM

All replies

• On client computer do Start, Run, type services.msc, Hit Enter, Browse to Windows Home Server Connector Service, Right Click, Properties, Dependancies Tab.
    Monday, July 20, 2009 1:17 PM
  • Ahh no, forgot to write that, got the same problems on all client machines, so the issue will have to be on the server side, was silly enough to experiment with the services there.

All clients tell me: This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is
    powered on. If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes.

mathijs
    Monday, July 20, 2009 1:59 PM
  • Ahh no, forgot to write that, got the same problems on all client machines, so the issue will have to be on the server side, was silly enough to experiment with the services there.

All clients tell me: This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is
    powered on. If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes.

mathijs

Hmm. In that case go to services.msc on the server, then check dependancies for all services starting with Windows Home Server.
    Monday, July 20, 2009 2:07 PM
    silly enough to experiment with the services there.
    The most reliable solution is going to be server reinstallation. May I ask why you were "twiddling" with services on your server? It's unsupported, and a great way to break the server. Was there something specific you were trying to accomplish?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 20, 2009 3:44 PM
  • Hi Mathijs,
    your description could point to a name resolution problem.
    Could you open a command prompt and post the output of the command
    ipconfig /all
    from both a client and the server?
    Did you at any time alter the hosts file and could after that the ip address of the server have changed?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, July 20, 2009 8:08 PM