locked
FIREWALL § WHS § Media smart server RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello

    I have a problem with my Smart Media Server and WHS.
    After mishandling the firewall WHS on the console, (click settings by default) I do not have any access to my Media Smart server.
    Do you have any solution?  Please Help me.


    pancho
    Friday, September 26, 2008 6:40 AM

Answers

  • After performing the server recovery according to the manual, the ports should be open again.
    Did you read fully through the linked document (including point 5)?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, September 26, 2008 9:13 AM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Hello,
    please check the manual for the Server Recovery procedure.
    This will wipe and replace the operating system together with the user accounts and customizations, but leave the data intact.
    http://www.mediasmarthome.com/article/10014/How-To-Restore-the-HP-MediaSmart-Server/
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, September 26, 2008 7:11 AM
    Moderator
  • Thank Olaf  
    Well, but my problem remains the same because my Smart Media Server is not detected because of the firewall, for it is, he is asked to open TCP8192 and UDP8192, well .... But where and how do I open

    Thank you for your help

    pancho
    Friday, September 26, 2008 8:12 AM
  • After performing the server recovery according to the manual, the ports should be open again.
    Did you read fully through the linked document (including point 5)?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, September 26, 2008 9:13 AM
    Moderator
  • pancho61 said:

    Hello

    I have a problem with my Smart Media Server and WHS.
    After mishandling the firewall WHS on the console, (click settings by default) I do not have any access to my Media Smart server.
    Do you have any solution?  Please Help me.


    pancho



    Next to server recovery there's other ways to correct this problem.

    Please have a look at this thread for more info.

    Required port settings can be found in mediasmart manual page 6-24

    A more complete overview of firewall settings can be found overhere.


    [EDIT] Please check out Olaf's post below! [edit]
    Friday, September 26, 2008 11:46 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi brubber,
    if I correctly understood, he cannot acess the WHS any more due to the reset firewall - so how could he open any ports afterwards without Server Recovery?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, September 26, 2008 7:44 PM
    Moderator
  • Olaf Engelke said:

    Hi brubber,
    if I correctly understood, he cannot acess the WHS any more due to the reset firewall - so how could he open any ports afterwards without Server Recovery?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf



    Hi Olaf,

    You are right! I didn't realise resetting default policies would clear out all exceptions. There are still workarounds (this thread), however reinstall is indeed by far the easiest method. Sorry for causing confusion.

    Saturday, September 27, 2008 1:13 AM
    Moderator
  •  thank you Olaf

    I managed to open TCP ports 8192 and UDP8192 on my router and managed to reinstall the server
    My server is working again and I have lost any information.

    It only remains for me to reconfigure the Webshare photos. All albums are on the hard diskof the MSHS WHS, is there a quick way without having to recreate them to appear on the Webshare.
    Thank you
    pancho
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 8:17 AM
  • pancho61 said:

    I managed to open TCP ports 8192 and UDP8192 on my router and managed to reinstall the server
    My server is working again and I have lost any information.

    It only remains for me to reconfigure the Webshare photos. All albums are on the hard diskof the MSHS WHS, is there a quick way without having to recreate them to appear on the Webshare.


    I assume you wanted to write, that you haven't lost any information? Otherwise the folders would not be on the disk ...
    What exactly do you mean with the Webshare photos?
    Did you use an add-in for getting that access before or do you speak about the photos share you get after normal Remote login?
    In first case name the Add-In and/or read its documentation. (Could be Whiist?)
    In second case - are the fotos still visible, if you open the shortcut Shared folders on server on your desktop?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 8:36 AM
    Moderator
  •  

    Yes, I did not lose information

    The photos Webshare is provided with HP MediaSmartServer it can share photo albums on the web.
    All information about Webshare are on the disc D against WHS by the relocation since they are no longer visible on the Web. It must be a very simple manipulation, to recreate the link between the two. But I can not find it. And as there are many, work to recreate every album is enormous.
    Thank you for your help
    Greeting from France
    Pancho


    pancho
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 12:08 PM
  • Unfortunately I did never have my hands on one of those HP machines, so I don't know their special software and how to use it to realize your wish.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 8:14 PM
    Moderator
  •  
    I managed to solve my problem without really knowing how elsewhere.

    but thank you for your help

    pancho
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 9:42 PM
  • dear Olaf
     
    The server runs normally from home, but I encounter a problem to connect from the Internet. The configuration of my router ports has not changed.

    There must be at the configuration WHS a blockage that prevents me access. Could you help me please

    greetings from france

    pancho

    pancho
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 8:52 AM
  • Hello,
    you encounter "a problem" connecting from the Internet means what exactly?
     
    You said, you reinstalled Windows Home Server.
    This usually causes the system to get a different IP address assigned by the router.
    If in the router configuration port forwarding for the WHS ports (80, 443 and 4125) is still pointing to the old IP address of the server, this may be the reason.
    Did you check (and maybe reset) the Remote settings on the server via WHS console?
    On the server itself (after logging in via Remote desktop) try the following:
    Click Start / Run and type
    cmd
    Click OK.
    In the command line type
    ipconfig
    and confirm with the Enter key.
    This should show you the IP configuration of your WHS.
    Write this down and type
    exit
    Log off from your WHS Remotedesktop.

    Open the configuration page of your router.
    Find the Port forwarding settings.
    Check, if ports 80, 443 and 4125 are forwarded to the IP address you wrote down.

    If possible, check also, which is the external IP address of your router.
    On your client PC, open a cmd prompt as described above and type
    nslookup myname.homeserver.com
    (replace myname with the reserved name for your domain).
    Does it respond with the same IP address your router has as external?

    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 10:22 AM
    Moderator
  • dear Olaf thanks for all
    I found the solution. It was open port 443 in the firewall WHS. Hence my question: what is the optimal configuration of the firewall WHS to avoid intrusion?

    pancho
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 10:01 PM
  • The WHS firewall is already configured as secure as possible, especially if it is already located behind a router.
     Intrusion can only be avoided with following methods:
    • no remote access at all if not needed
    • safe, complex passwords for the user accounts with Remote Access and for the Administrator (console)
    • giving away account info only to trustworthy persons
    • protection software

    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 11:23 PM
    Moderator
  • Olaf Engelke said:

    The WHS firewall is already configured as secure as possible, especially if it is already located behind a router.
     Intrusion can only be avoided with following methods:

    • no remote access at all if not needed
    • safe, complex passwords for the user accounts with Remote Access and for the Administrator (console)
    • giving away account info only to trustworthy persons
    • protection software

    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf



    Actually, you don't have to forward port 80 from the router to your server if you are willing to use https everytime you type in the web address.
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 12:18 AM
    Moderator