Mail Server? RRS feed

• Question

• Currently using Windows Live Mail on three W7 computers connected to WHS.  Two of the systems are set up to download and leave the messages on the Comcast Server so that they can be downloaded and saved on the "Main" email system.  Is there any way to use WHS as the "Store Folder" for all three systems?  OR is there an Addin that a relative dummy could get working to address this issue?  Seems like a pretty common need.
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 11:10 AM

All replies

• The usage of Windows Home Server for E-Mail storage not simple stuff. At least for Outlook the statement of Microsoft is also, that storing PST files on a shared folder is not supported and may end up in mailbox corruption. The risk is especially high, if multiple users try to access the same storage file at the same time.
    Dependend from the client it may be possible, but given the size of message boxes could have some bad results. Also folder duplication would not work very well, if these files are kept open by the mail client.
    No idea about other mail clients.

The other way around would be to set up a mail server, which pulls the mail from the boxes to the server and connect the users to that server. But this is not a supported scenario for WHS and also nothing, which would be easy for an unexperienced admin.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 12:26 PM
  • I use the second suggestion by Olaf above. I have HMail Server running on my WHS box which downloads my Emails from my various accounts. Then, when I check EMail at home I look at what's been downloaded onto my WHS using a Thunderbird client. The benefit of this is that whichever of my PCs I use, I see the same set of mail. I only use HMail for receiving not sending so that simplified the setup considerably.

Oh yes, I backup the mail folders on WHS and also use SyncToy to copy those backups to one of my client machines - there is nothing like being safe!

Phil
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 6:52 PM
  • Phil,

Sounds like a plan.  What do I give up using HMail?  I like the way WL keeps track of my address book across multiple machines.  Can I still us WL with HMail?
    Friday, November 6, 2009 4:03 PM
  • Ken

Sorry, can't help as I have no knowledge of Windows Live. I guess though if you are only using it to send Mail you can still use the address book facility. However, if you are using WL to consolidate your EMails why do you need to run a server on WHS?

Phil
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 8:54 PM
  • Have three client systems running on home network.  Currently use WHS to keep backups and to store shared files.  WL does a fine job of consolidating emails from various sources but it will only keep them on the system they were downloaded to.  But it does have a nice feature that keeps the address book syncronized across all the systems on the network (based on the WL sign in)- too bad WL did not go one step further and keep the mail storage folders syncronized too - then I could complain about the added complexity!  So...HMail will download mail from various sources and keep then in one place on WHS.  I've got to do some homework on HMail and see how it will interface with WL maybe it has the common address book covered.  Probably more trouble that its worth but it is a minor aggravation trying to keep WL Storage folders available on the three systems.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 11:57 AM