Vail installation on 3TB RAID partition? Please help! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I tried to install Vail on my new striped 3TB partition (2x1,5TB drives) but setup thinks that this partitions has 0.00gb free space.

It has 3000gb free space actually.

I am sure this is partition's size problem, because I switched my disk to raid 1 1,5TB and setup programm could see this drive properly.

My question is how to install Vail on 3TB partition? (I cannot change its size - it's 3TB or 2x1,5 without raid advantages)

I am sitting looking at my opened WHS PC and wondering what to do next?

I read, that VAIL does support GPT partitions and I know there is no problem with it once system is installed.

But how to install system first?

Friday, September 3, 2010 4:07 PM

Answers

• The issue here is that windows can not boot from a GPT disk of any size. (without UEFI which is often broken)

True. Actually, I assumed the OP was using a UEFI motherboard, which was probably a bad assumption on my part.

To install on a small drive and use an array (again, please don't use a stripe set for data you care about; it won't have a significant impact on overall server performance no matter how many drives you put in the array) for server storage:

• Install the small (>= 160 GB) drive. Don't bother with an SSD; it won't improve performance significantly.
    • Install Vail on the small drive.
    • Install drivers for RAID.
    • Add the array to server storage.
    • Exclude the small drive from server storage if you like, and expand the system partition to fill the drive.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 3, 2010 6:16 PM

All replies

• Please don't use striping (RAID 0) for any applicaiton where you care about the data on the array.

Are you supplying drivers for the RAID controller at the appropriate time? They may not be "in box".

Friday, September 3, 2010 4:56 PM
  • drivers are ok, after loading them installer can see disk, but cannot see its partition size properly.

Friday, September 3, 2010 5:21 PM
  • The issue here is that windows can not boot from a GPT disk of any size. (without UEFI which is often broken)

Your could create a 160GB or so logical drive from the array to install to and another logical drive with the remainder of the array to add to the storage pool.

The better solution would be to install to a small drive and present your 3TB array to add to the storage pool.

That said, you would be well advised to stay away from striping unless you're just playing with GPT.

-timotl

Friday, September 3, 2010 5:49 PM

True. Actually, I assumed the OP was using a UEFI motherboard, which was probably a bad assumption on my part.

To install on a small drive and use an array (again, please don't use a stripe set for data you care about; it won't have a significant impact on overall server performance no matter how many drives you put in the array) for server storage:

• Install the small (>= 160 GB) drive. Don't bother with an SSD; it won't improve performance significantly.
    • Install Vail on the small drive.
    • Install drivers for RAID.
    • Add the array to server storage.
    • Exclude the small drive from server storage if you like, and expand the system partition to fill the drive.

Friday, September 3, 2010 6:16 PM