Setup Failed - Installing Base Services RRS feed

• Question

• My system is at the "Installing Windows Home Server base services" step and it reports "Cannot complete this function. (error code 0x800703eb)". The log shows:

Spawning Process [msiexec.exe /i X:\WHS\whslogmsg.msi /quiet /log "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs\setup\event_log200703032000.log"]

ERROR: Process failed (with return code 1620)

Process returned the following message: T

Then it tries this again a few more times. If I open the event log specified above, it is empty. If I manually run the MSI it is trying to run, it says "Preparing to install" the progress bar goes across very fast and then goes away. I checked the CRC of my download to that on Connect and it matches. I burned at the slowest speed available, 2.4x and had Nero verify the burn and it verified just fine. What should I do?

Saturday, March 3, 2007 8:17 PM

Answers

• Turns out it was the DVD drive. I borrowed the SATA DVD writer from my Media Center and it installed just fine. Then I swapped it back to the server's original CD-RW drive. Works now.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 9:24 PM

All replies

• There are a few posts about this on Connect.  One is
    https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=254198

The comment at the bottom of that bug states:
    This error occurs when the installation DVD is pulled out (after one of the numerous) reboots, while the installation has not completely finished.

You may want to just start over and see if it happens the second time around.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 8:58 PM
  • I did try that and got the same error. I didn't remove the DVD from the drive either. Also, I'm using the same drive to install it that I used to burn the disc.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 3:56 AM
  • I tried the DVD in a VM on my laptop and it works fine, so I'm guessing that it has something to do with the hardware. Since the DVD gets very loud at the first "Loading files" text progress bar, and then the drive slows way down, I'm going to assume it's got something to do with the drive (even though I've never had a problem with it). Tomorrow I'll plug in another drive and see if it works.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 8:40 AM
  • I also received this error when attempting to install WHS on one of my older towers. I found the error was caused by the executable "QS.EXE" located in C:\Installs\. Everytime I booted up the server it attempt to install this, I grabbed another key from the site and was able to load it on a different server with no troubles.
    Monday, March 5, 2007 4:24 AM
  • Turns out it was the DVD drive. I borrowed the SATA DVD writer from my Media Center and it installed just fine. Then I swapped it back to the server's original CD-RW drive. Works now.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 9:24 PM