none
Acer G330 Mk2 - Would this make a good WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having various ongoing issues with my WHS, so I'm getting to the point where I'm ready to replace the hardware to address any possible issues

- hardware incompatibility with WHS, and
    - any hardware that is failing or unreliable.

I've seen the Acer G330 MK2 server, which is a superb price:

http://www.acer.co.uk/public/page4.do?link=oln45.redirect&dau22.oid=34422&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtxParam=0&dctx1=17&CountryISOCtxParam=UK&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&ctx3=-1&ctx4=United+Kingdom&crc=1040005941#inu57_47916

Specs:

Processor clock speed    3000 MHz
    Processor family    Intel Xeon
    Number of processors installed    1
    Processor    Dual-Core Intel Xeon 3110
    Processor front side bus    1333 MHz
    L2 cache    6 MB
    Maximum number of SMP processors    1
    Storage controllers
    RAID levels    0, 1, 10
    Memory
    Internal memory    1024 MB
    ECC    Yes
    Maximum internal memory    8 GB
    Internal memory type    DDR2 SDRAM
    Memory slots    4 DIMM
    Optical drive
    Optical drive type    DVD-ROM
    Networking
    Networking features    Gigabit Ethernet
    Connectivity
    PS/2 ports quantity    2
    VGA (D-Sub) ports quantity    1
    Ethernet LAN (RJ-45) ports quantity    1
    Serial ports quantity    1
    USB 2.0 ports quantity    4
    Energy management
    Power supply    350 W

Anyone see any reason why this wouldn't make an excellent WHS base unit?
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 1:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There is no reason why not and it should have Server 2003 drivers available. The only caveat would be that it has a built-in RAID controller, so you would need to ensure that it could be set as a JBOD array.

Probably the processor might be a bit over-powered, but it's better than being the other way!

Colin

Thursday, August 7, 2008 3:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There is no reason why not and it should have Server 2003 drivers available. The only caveat would be that it has a built-in RAID controller, so you would need to ensure that it could be set as a JBOD array.

Probably the processor might be a bit over-powered, but it's better than being the other way!

Colin

Thursday, August 7, 2008 3:01 PM
  • I was expecting just to turn the RAID off an use the individual discs?
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:10 PM
  • I would find the manual for the server first, and check that you can. It really depends on their implementation.

Other than that though, it's got 6 SATA ports which is a great start.

Colin

Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:19 PM
  • Not bad for a prebuilt, though the prices I'm seeing, I could custom build one with a quad core, 4 GB, and bigger power supply for less money.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 10:38 PM
  • I'm getting one for £139 - where can you see prices for a 45nm Intel server for less than that? 

The point is anyway that I'd prefer not to self-build, because I want someone else to be certain that it's all Server 2003 (and 2008) compatible), but nevertheless I'd be interested in knowing where you can source a quad CPU, mobo, case, PSU, DVD, and 4gb for less than that.
    Friday, August 8, 2008 9:33 AM
  • I got one from Ebuyer for 135 inc p+p good server. Far quicker than my old 2.4 celeron. A lot of peeps say that the CPU doesn't make a difference but it does especially for RDP. I am running Virtual server 2005 on it as well. So the extra CPU slots will get used!
    Friday, August 29, 2008 8:02 PM