How do I import this data into CRM? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an excel file, it has column 1 Company Name, Column 2 Contact First Name, Column 3 Contact Last Name.  Then it has the standards like one column for Address 1, one for Postal Code, one for Country etc. 

When I'm in CRM I click Tools then Import but it only lets me do either Account or Contact.  If I do account, then it still wants to import the contacts first and last name, which I don't have a field for.  I've tried to remove the column for contact first and last name then import which does work.  Then I've added them and tried to import contacts and made the Parent Customer the company's name column 1, but then it says error importing, the data in row did not match the import type.

So I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to do this. Any advice?
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:15 AM

Answers

• Hi Lee,
    Once an attribute has been created either default or custom, you cannot change its 'type' so you can't change an integer into an nvarchar or picklist for example. You need to create new attributes.

An alternative to the import data option that you're currently using is the data migration manager that you can find on the CRM4 installation media. It has some benefits such as the ability to import data from several related entities at once (i.e. from several csv files), it will create attributes for you if they aren't already in CRM (very time saving if you have alot of picklist attributes to create) and you can also delete all data imported as part of the job if you mess it up.

Just make sure if you do use the data migration manager that you install it on a client machine and not the crm server.

Hope that helps,

Rob
    CRM4 MBSS
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:32 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Lee,

This can be done, but needs to be done in two part.
    A.  Import accounts:  Create a file with just accounts and import the accounts.

B.  Prepare your Contacts file:  In your excel file, rename all of  your columns so they match the crm colum names exactly.  If you have more than half a dozen columns, here's what I'd suggest: Create an advanced find with column you will be importing, then export to excel just so you get the exact colum names.

C.  Import your contacts file:  If the columns all match a valid crm column, there will be no need to create mapping file.  CRM will automap the fields.  In addition, lookup column such as 'parent account', will work just fine too.
    Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 4:07 AM
  • Thanks Alex that's a huge help I'll try it now.  Quick question, is it possible to change CRM's default fields?  For example, the # of employees attribute is integer.  Issue is all my data works like "1-10" or "11-50" and so on, so it won't accept those.  They're grayed out in cRM so I can't change.

Same with Province, right now its character I believe, so I have to type ON, AB etc each time.  On my corporate CRM 3.0, it's a drop down and you just select the one, but it's grayed out here and won't let me change it.  Is there a way to change them?

Thanks again really appreciate all your help.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 1:33 PM
  • Hi Lee,
    Once an attribute has been created either default or custom, you cannot change its 'type' so you can't change an integer into an nvarchar or picklist for example. You need to create new attributes.

An alternative to the import data option that you're currently using is the data migration manager that you can find on the CRM4 installation media. It has some benefits such as the ability to import data from several related entities at once (i.e. from several csv files), it will create attributes for you if they aren't already in CRM (very time saving if you have alot of picklist attributes to create) and you can also delete all data imported as part of the job if you mess it up.

Just make sure if you do use the data migration manager that you install it on a client machine and not the crm server.

Hope that helps,

Rob
    CRM4 MBSS
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 9:32 PM
    Answerer