Is Data going to be lost? RRS feed

• Question

• I have two questions:

1. Can I replace my primary drive on my server without losing all the data I have stored as I would like to put in a larger one? How?

2. Will the final release of the WHS allow me to update it or will it require a full installation causing a data loss?

Sunday, July 8, 2007 4:10 AM

Answers

•  pcdoc1958 wrote:

I have two questions:

1. Can I replace my primary drive on my server without losing all the data I have stored as I would like to put in a larger one? How?

2. Will the final release of the WHS allow me to update it or will it require a full installation causing a data loss?

Quoting from mr Tom (whs team):

If the primary system drive fails, you can place a new drive into the server, and then run Setup, and do a Server Recovery, and all data, backups, but you will lose all customizations to the server, and user accounts.

Regarding upgrade, normally from RTM can be done, but clean install always better after the beta builds issue.

My best.
    Sunday, July 8, 2007 4:18 AM

All replies

•  pcdoc1958 wrote:

I have two questions:

1. Can I replace my primary drive on my server without losing all the data I have stored as I would like to put in a larger one? How?

Quoting from mr Tom (whs team):

If the primary system drive fails, you can place a new drive into the server, and then run Setup, and do a Server Recovery, and all data, backups, but you will lose all customizations to the server, and user accounts.

Regarding upgrade, normally from RTM can be done, but clean install always better after the beta builds issue.

My best.
    Sunday, July 8, 2007 4:18 AM
  • Hi, I have 3 HDD's, my Primary drive which WHS formated to 2 partitions, the first being the system and the second a data one shared with the other 2 HDD's.
    My Primary drive started clicking and became unstable, I ran some tests and found out that there were some Unrecoverable Bad Sectors.
    I thought that I could try and "Copy" the whole disk with Partition Magic 8 but because the Data partition is part of the WHS "shared" storage PM8 wouldn't read it correctly so I couldn't copy.
    Next I booted with GParted v.3.3.3-7, this read the partitions and I copied the old disk onto a new one without problems ! WHS booted up first time and there were no errors and no Data loss !
    I hope this helps some people. :-)
    Sunday, July 8, 2007 3:57 PM
  • Thank you all for the response.  I think I have a clearer understanding of what to do.  I appreciate everyones inputs.

Sunday, July 8, 2007 4:42 PM