Managed to retrieve all my data from a hard drive!! RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi all,

Four months ago, yes four, I suddenly had my only external hard drive on my WHS fail, it kept saying unhealthy and I couldn't access any of my files. As this was the only hard drive all my data was lost. I trawled the net to look for solutions, my drive had a light on and I could hear it spinning up but WHS kept on saying UNHEALTHY. These are the steps I took,

Firstly tried a different power lead from a new drive I bought. This didnt work, I ended up blowing up the board on the hard drive (not recomended).

I managed to get an identicaln one shipped in from Canada, and a new case and power supply, all this did was put me straight back to the beginning, the disk would power up but could nto be accessed.

I then attached the disk to another machine, it said I needed to format it which I did NOT do. In the cmd prompts I ran chkdsk etc and still no luck.

I then found a data recovery software, which I ran on the other machine, left it overnight and in the morning it had found all my files, I attached a new HD to the machine and copied it all onto it.

I am not a sales person for this company, just someone who has panicked for four months and finally managed to get my files back after trying everything I could find.

I am now re-installing WHS, and will ensure I have enough drives and space to enable file duplication to stop this happening again. I think I might even buy an extra HD to back up the back up!!

I have learnt my lesson the hard way, but so happy I have got the files back.

Anthony

Thursday, December 10, 2009 2:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    thanks for reporting back. If the file system is only affected or the disk was formatted but not overwritten such recovery tools can often still do a good job.

Backups to separate disks (which should be stored on a safe place) are always recommended, since duplication does not protect against something affecting the data directly like user failures or malware or against something hitting the server like overvoltage, fire, water, theft ...
    Windows Home Server as a single point of failure is not better than a desktop PC as single point of failure if it comes to valuable data.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, December 11, 2009 10:41 AM