Renewing my account RRS feed

• Question

• I have one care on my computer. It is about to expire. I bought a new version from a retailer as it was cheaper then buying from Microsoft online. I was able to reactivate my account as described in this formum so this was helpfull. My problem is that I am unsure how to update or reactivate on the other 2 computers that it was active on during our first useage.

So Summary: I have an active account and it it working on my desktop. Need to know how to get it working on the others.

Jim Mott

Saturday, February 16, 2008 6:29 PM

Answers

• If you have renewed your account successfully, and the other two computers were activated on the same account as the first computer before you renewed, they should automatically update to reflect the new expiry date.
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 7:07 PM

All replies

• If you have renewed your account successfully, and the other two computers were activated on the same account as the first computer before you renewed, they should automatically update to reflect the new expiry date.
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 7:07 PM
  • I'm seeing the same issue as the OP. I successfully renewed my subscription, about a week ago, with the key from my Amazon purchase. This computer (hub) is showing the extension to 4/09 but my wife's machine is still showing a 4/08 expiration.

IIRC, I added my wife's machine using my account.

Is there something else that needs to be done?

Wayne

Sunday, February 17, 2008 9:34 PM
  • On your wife's PC, open OneCare and click Change Settings, then Check for Updates. If it still fails to update the new expiration status, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Sunday, February 17, 2008 9:47 PM
  • My situation is generally similar but frustratingly different and may relate. I purchased Live OneCare in January 2007 as a special offer through the beta program. The second beta program also had a special offer in December 2007 and I purchased that, thinking this would save me on renewal costs. I was charged for the second transaction but come January 2008 the system kept demanding I renew and then told me my subscription expired. How do I get credited for what I purchased when it was all done online?

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 6:26 AM
  • When you purchased for the second time, you will probably have used a different LiveID to purchase OneCare. You can see the subscription status for each of your accounts by signing in at http://billing.microsoft.com/ and you can see which account OneCare is using by choosing Help -> About in OneCare.

If they don't match, you can change the LiveID in OneCare by following these instructions.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:26 AM
  •  Jeff Headley wrote:
    My situation is generally similar but frustratingly different and may relate. I purchased Live OneCare in January 2007 as a special offer through the beta program. The second beta program also had a special offer in December 2007 and I purchased that, thinking this would save me on renewal costs. I was charged for the second transaction but come January 2008 the system kept demanding I renew and then told me my subscription expired. How do I get credited for what I purchased when it was all done online?

Jeff, eLazerBeam is correct.

The beta offer was for a *new* subscription, not a renewal, so the subscription from January 07 did not get renewed. You purchased a new subscription with a different LiveID on 12/07 for the beta offer. You will need to uninstall the current subscribed (expired) copy and reinstall and activate with the LiveID for your new subscription which began 12/07.

Support can help you identify the active subscription LiveID based on your credit card and contact information.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:10 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

On your wife's PC, open OneCare and click Change Settings, then Check for Updates. If it still fails to update the new expiration status, please contact support.

-steve

Thanx again, steve.

Yesterday when I did Check for Updates, there was a message indicating that everything was up to date, or something to that effect and nothing changed. However, this AM when I checked my wif's machine, OneCare shows the 4/09 renewal date.

Wayne

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 2:28 PM
  • You're welcome, Wayne. Thanks for the status update. I wonder why it took longer for your wife's machine, but I'm glad that it is now showing the correct status.

-steve

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 4:19 PM
  • Perhaps I misunderstand, but isn't my LiveID what i use to sign in - what we used to call Passport? I only have one of those and use it for everything Microsoft from MCP/MCT sites to MSDN/Partner Program to online purchases like this. Both purchases were also made with the same credit card number with all details unchanged. Is there something else I need to do for the system to know that both purchases apply to me?
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:15 PM
  • Hi, Jeff. Yes, LiveID and Passport are one and the same.

However, if you already had an active subscription, you could not have purchased the beta offer using the same LiveID. There can only be one active subscription associated with a single LiveID. I recommend that you contact support to have this investigated. If you used a credit card, they can identify the LiveID and get it straightened out for you.

-steve
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:14 AM