Frethog.AJ password stealer RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm working in Kyrgyzstan now where there are lots of strange virii coming from Russia and the former soviet republics, and OneCare seems to take care of most of them, including one called Frethog.AJ which is a password stealer. OneCare has successfully stopped frethog a number of times when i put an infected flashdrive in my USB, but i have evidence that at least some of my passwords have been stolen and are being used by others.  Here are my questions:

1) is it possible that even though Frethog has been stopped a number of times by OneCare that it may have passed once and is now infecting my computer and stealing my passwords? i have conducted a number of full scan on my hard disk but OneCare has not found Frethog or any other virus

2) are there other known "password stealers" which are not yet detected by One Care? and if so how can i protect myself against those?

thank you for your time  and support

regards

michel

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 9:26 AM

Answers

• Hello, Michel.

Yes, it is possible that an infection made it through the OneCare defenses. Unfortunately, no security program is foolproof and the malware writers are constantly dreaming up new attacks and variants. The best I can suggest is to change your passwords often and make sure you are very careful in your browsing and use the firewall in full lock down mode. Also, avoid connecting via open WiFi networks (or any WiFi network, if possible) as sniffing the traffic is fairly easy to do with open WiFi communications.

As for question number 2... I would assume that there are others out there that remain undetected. Hopefully, these new strains will be identified and protected against quickly.

-steve

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 5:11 PM

All replies

• Hello, Michel.

Yes, it is possible that an infection made it through the OneCare defenses. Unfortunately, no security program is foolproof and the malware writers are constantly dreaming up new attacks and variants. The best I can suggest is to change your passwords often and make sure you are very careful in your browsing and use the firewall in full lock down mode. Also, avoid connecting via open WiFi networks (or any WiFi network, if possible) as sniffing the traffic is fairly easy to do with open WiFi communications.

As for question number 2... I would assume that there are others out there that remain undetected. Hopefully, these new strains will be identified and protected against quickly.

-steve

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 5:11 PM
  • Thank you Stephen for your reply

is there any way i can remove Frethog from my hard disk? it seems that althought OneCare managed to stop it from entering a number of times, if it has in fact lodged itself in the hard disk, OneCare now doesnt seem to be able to find it and remove it, as i have done multiple full scans with no result.

thank you again

michel

Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:39 AM
  • If you suspect that the infection remains or was missed by OneCare, please contact support for help with removal:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx  for details.  For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

-steve
    Friday, October 31, 2008 5:20 PM
  • Thanks again Stephen this helps

regards

michel

Saturday, November 1, 2008 3:13 AM