window 7 scam? RRS feed

• Question

• I have just received a phone call from someone claiming to be from microsoft saying that there are bugs in my windows 7 software.

As he said my microsoft warrenty ran out 6 months ago and I've only had the PC 3 weeks i didn't trust them is this genuine or a scam.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 7:40 PM

Answers

• "Aburge0" wrote in message news:0ae5641c-305a-4cd7-9480-0ac8d364fbfe...

I have just received a phone call from someone claiming to be from microsoft saying that there are bugs in my windows 7 software.

As he said my microsoft warrenty ran out 6 months ago and I've only had the PC 3 weeks i didn't trust them is this genuine or a scam.

It's a scam - they're trying either to gain access to your PC so they can attach it to their botnet, or get you to pay for 'repairs' that aren't needed. Or both.
    MS NEVER contact anyone without a request by the user.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, November 17, 2010 11:43 PM
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 10:02 PM

All replies

• "Aburge0" wrote in message news:0ae5641c-305a-4cd7-9480-0ac8d364fbfe...

I have just received a phone call from someone claiming to be from microsoft saying that there are bugs in my windows 7 software.

It's a scam - they're trying either to gain access to your PC so they can attach it to their botnet, or get you to pay for 'repairs' that aren't needed. Or both.

--

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, November 17, 2010 11:43 PM
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 10:02 PM

You were absolutely correct not to trust that caller.

Just to repeat what Noel has said, Microsoft does not contact people without permission from the person first. 

And Microsoft most definitely does not contacting every Windows user, by phone, about some sort of bug that could be fixed by sending out a patch thru Windows Update.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 11:42 PM
  • I had EXACTLY the same, My wife rang me to say that some woman is controlling our computer, we have had several crashes the old blue screen and then dump, some woman rang indian accent, said she was from microsoft, to do with the government, she said there is a problem with windows 7, and they can fix it, they talked my wife through basically setting up a programme, which by the time I came home this woman was controlling my computer, with a window on the screen saying Ayeesha Smith is controlling your pc do not touch it, I disconected modem and installed Norton, which found some serious trojans, she rang me back and 3 times the phone cut off , bad connection she said, no she was ringing from another country, we checked out their website and ye, don`t be fooled by that either I will find the website and post it

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 8:10 AM
  • Wednesday, December 1, 2010 8:23 AM
  • the same woman just rang my house phone now she asked to to hold the line for her supervisor and keep my laptop on i got worried and hung up and turned the computer off they rang straight back and i told to ring at 3 o clock when my son was here he has just updated my antivirus  just want to thank you for your posts because i was not sure if it was a scam  thank you again
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 11:28 AM
  • My friend has just this phone call and i answered for her and told the guy it was a scam !!! I cut him off and he rang back i noted the number and called it back and got a voicemail, the woman sounded nigerian, i am going to pass the information on to the relevant authorities .
    Friday, September 9, 2011 11:53 AM
  • I have just got a call from an indian woman (i live in spain) and she told me that there was hacking into windows 7 and she would like to help me protect my computer, would i turn it on? I told her i didnt have the computer with me and she said where is it? when i  said home she said  but this is your home number, with that i told her i didnt believe her and put the phone down.  I wish there was somewhere you could report these scammers to.
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:12 AM
  • [Wed-07-Mar-2012]

I live in Australia and I just had a phone call from an Indian woman going on about the security of my pc re: Windows 7.

I told her that I was very suspicious of her call and she just kept raving on, as indians do, so I told her that I was ending the call and hung up.

Where are they getting the information to ring me at home in the first place. Has the Microsoft Windows7 customer file been compromised??

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 4:52 AM
  • "Ozucator" wrote in message news:ad11941d-be2c-4aa1-aaff-90ccd2a9d3d0...

[Wed-07-Mar-2012]

I live in Australia and I just had a phone call from an Indian woman going on about the security of my pc re: Windows 7.

I told her that I was very suspicious of her call and she just kept raving on, as indians do, so I told her that I was ending the call and hung up.

Where are they getting the information to ring me at home in the first place. Has the Microsoft Windows7 customer file been compromised??

There are such things as phone books – and any mail-list you may have put yourself on could also be a source. MS does NOT pass out registration details.
    Win 7 is now almost certainly the most common OS in the market-place, so it’s no stretch to assume that your machine (if you have one) would be Win 7.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 10:16 AM
  • The next time you get windows 7 call ask for their name ID # and phone #, when you have this information, thank them very much and inform them that you will be passing this on to the Ontario Provincial Police.  Bet they hang up. The above was suggested to me by a OPP Fraud officer.  Hope it helps.
    Friday, May 18, 2012 6:26 PM
  • ....and if they happen to be in England, or Madras, or Perth???

Friday, May 18, 2012 6:29 PM