Connect Toshiba phone system to OCS 2007 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are test deploying OCS 2007 R2 in our office and would like to connect our PBX and Toshiba phones to the OCS server. It is my understanding that we would need a media gateway device to do so (Correct me if I'm wrong). I am unable to find any information about what device would be compatible with our system. We have Toshiba DKT-3010-S phones with a Strata CTX 100 device in our office. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thursday, April 23, 2009 4:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Keith,

I believe there is a very few telephone systems OCS offically supports - but unoffically, I've found it works with just about anything.

I don't know anything about a Toshiba PBX - so if you could answer some questions - I might be able to fill in some gaps...

EDIT - I googled some specs on the CTX 100 - it's a cool looking PBX.  Seems to be a VoIP system, that has a ISDN T1 coming in from the Telco.

As with so many things - theres more then one way to do this.

1) IF the Toshiba can create a route that uses ULAW/ SIP over TCP - then you can place & receive calls directly to & from the OCS Mediaition server - no gateway needed.  That's a big IF...

2) IF the Toshiba can create a route - but it does NOT use ULAW/SIP over TCP - then you will need 'something' in-between to translate it.  Asterisk or an AudoCodec gateway???

3) Plug the T1 from the telco into a gateway - feed VoIP to both the Toshiba & OCS - & let the gateway route calls...  IF the gateway can do that.  AudioCodec gateways have a very good reputation - never used them myself.

4) Plug the T1 from the Telco into an Asterisk 1.6 box with a T1 card.  Route calls to OCS or to the Toshiba as required.  I did this for my Nortel Option 11C

Me?  I'd try hard to see if you could get No 1 to work - or get whoever supports your Toshiba to answer those questions.

Number 2/3/4 all depend our your comfort level with the different technologies.  I'm OK with Asterisk - so my choice is obvious.

It maybe worth pointing out that with all of this - you will get simple telephone connections form the Toshiba to OCS - not full telephone control like CSTA.

Trust me - talk to someone who knows the Toshiba PBX.  The hours I spent trying to get my Nortel to work, then it was all fixed in 2 hours of a qualified Nortel tech's time - it was well worth the money for his time.

Hope my rambling helped...

Regards

Paul Adams
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:00 PM
  • That is perfect, you gave me plenty of direction to look. Thank you very much! I'll post up what we ultimately end up doing.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 3:06 PM