old modem is slow RRS feed

• Question

• I have a motorolla modem sb 5120. It's 7 years old. I suspect that it's slowing my internet speed down. Would a new modem make any difference.
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:33 PM

All replies

• A modem connection is no longer mainstream, therefore the most websites and even applications are designed with high bandwidth connections in mind.

So changing the modem (as long as it connects with 56K) will not change your experience - only changing the connection itself. If possible, change to DSL. If not possible, changing to ISDN may speed up the things a little bit, but also at a higher price. Of course there are also regional differences, what is possible and what not.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:09 PM
  • The SB5120 Surfboard Cable Modem is Docsis 1.1 and 2.0 Certified.  If your Cable ISP offers Docsis 3.0, then yes, you would most likely see a speed increase if the new cable modem is Docsis 3.0 certified.  I would contact your ISP and go with their recommendation.   Most cable internet providers have moved to Docsis 3.0.

--

BullDawg
      In God We Trust

BullDawg
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:46 PM
  • www.speedtest.net
    Is the speed (up/down) not in line with the speed you should get from your ISP?

"Jeraboam" wrote in message news:0aeaa786-9820-479a-8602-dfe6b18797b0@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I have a motorolla modem sb 5120. It's 7 years old. I suspect that it's slowing my internet speed down. Would a new modem make any difference.

Have a nice day!
    Friday, August 13, 2010 6:30 AM