none
Using Sync Framework for backup for multiple users. Data stored encrypted on server. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

My scenario is this:
    Several people need to have scheduled, differential backup of their documents/files. I have a Win 2008 Server on a fiber connection which will act as the data store. I want the data from each user to be encrypted on the server.

Basically, I want my service to be a (crude) copy of services like Mozy and Carbonite. Why not use those? Well, I'm in Iceland, and we have to pay for downloading from overseas servers. So a restore for 500GB would take weeks and probably cost thousands of dollars.

I haven't done too much work on this program yet, but a problem I foresaw was that for this to work, I'd need to first make a local, encrypted copy of the files, and then sync those with the Sync Framework - this is not a viable option when we're talking about hundreds of gigabytes.

So, I guess my question is this: Is there something within the Microsoft Sync framework that I can use to encrypt files on-the-fly before syncing them with the data storage? I'm guessing it's not feasible, but I'm still putting this question out there.
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 8:49 PM

Answers

• Hi, Kjartan.

As I understand, you want the NON-encrypted files on one side (Source), and same files encrypted on the other side (Destination). The sync will be performed in one direction only.

I think you can accomplish this in one of 2 ways:

1. On the Source Side: Make the provider (you'll have to implement one) return the encrypted file. You can create a copy of the file to be sent over, encrypt it and return the encrypted copy (then delete it locally) if you don't want the originals to be encrypted.
    2. On the Destination Side - encrypt the file after the changes have been applied.

Hope this helps.

Adrian

Monday, March 22, 2010 9:42 PM

All replies

• Hi, Kjartan.

As I understand, you want the NON-encrypted files on one side (Source), and same files encrypted on the other side (Destination). The sync will be performed in one direction only.

1. On the Source Side: Make the provider (you'll have to implement one) return the encrypted file. You can create a copy of the file to be sent over, encrypt it and return the encrypted copy (then delete it locally) if you don't want the originals to be encrypted.
    2. On the Destination Side - encrypt the file after the changes have been applied.

Hope this helps.

Adrian

Monday, March 22, 2010 9:42 PM
  • Hi, Kjartan.

1. On the Source Side: Make the provider (you'll have to implement one) return the encrypted file. You can create a copy of the file to be sent over, encrypt it and return the encrypted copy (then delete it locally) if you don't want the originals to be encrypted.

Hope this helps.

Adrian

Thanks for your sharing! It helps me out of the problem.
    Monday, February 21, 2011 1:28 AM